• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aggregator project will not run on Windows

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate 9.0.2.437 on a Mac and I'm attempting to build an Aggregator project to deploy as a Windows EXE file. After publishing the Aggregator project, it will not run on my Windows 7 test machine. Nothing happens when I attempt to run it. I have tried it on 2 other Windows 7 machines with the same result. The same Aggregator project saved as a Mac APP runs as expected.

What could be causing this problem?

Could this have anything to do with it? The PC is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The Flash Player that is installed is a 32-bit version.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, this is one area where cross-platform falls down, if you want to aggregate for the Mac, use a Mac.

If you want to aggregate for Windows, you need Windows.

You can emulate windows, in different tools on the mac. But the runtime must be built in windows. There are support files that must be available for binding during the build process, and there isn't any Adobe-supplied workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but thank you for your input.

As an alternative, I've started experimenting with exporting from Aggregator to PDF. This looks like it might work for me, but there is one import feature I can't get to work. At several points throughout my course, I need to provide a student with a PDF file to open, print and use as a reference. My Captivate button that I use to open  t h e  related PDF file does not seem to work from within a PDF. I know that I could "insert" the file as an attachment to my Aggregator PDF, but I'd like to be able to "send" my student directly to the PDF that I'm referring to instead of making them "hunt" for it. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would publish the Reference PDF Files to a webserver or LMS, and create a button within the course that opens the url in a new window.

Try that, and republish to a new URL.

AFAIK, some of this behavior will be dependent on the users browser and Acrobat preferences.

How are you distributing the lesson PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will try your suggestion.

We will be distributing the PDF as either a download or on CD-ROM based on the choice our member selects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distributing SWF or HTML5-based e-learning on a CD ROM is likely to be a frustrating experience for you due to security restrictions that will block functionality. 

The SWF content will encounter Flash Global Security issues, and the HTML5 content will also not usually work properly unless it is delivered from a web server over HTTP or HTTPS.

I recommend you do a LOT of testing with actual members of your target audience before you go down this path.  Your 'member' who makes the final choice should know beforehand what issues that choice will entail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to do lots of testing before I make a final decision to distribute as a PDF.

As for opening a PDF from within a PDF, I have had some success by using javascript. I created a button within my Captivate project and set it up to run a javascript snippet. I then combined my lessons using Aggregator and exported the result to a PDF. I then opened the Aggregator-created PDF and added my supporting files as attachments. When the button in my project is clicked, it automatically opens the appropriate attached PDF so the student can view/print it.

I found the tutorial and javascript for this at www.khkonsulting.com/2015/10/launch-pdf-attachments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources