2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2016 12:50 AM by Rick Gerard

Importing High Resolution TIFF files to Adobe After Effects CC 2015

joeyn40353560

I have some corporate High Resolution graphic images that are downloaded from a website in TIFF format.  Its standard on how they come; in the TIFF format.  I have 500 images I've downloaded.  I want to import these to AAE CC 2015, however when I import any of them, I get the error: 

AEGP PLUGIN UNSUPPORTED TIFF SPACE

(5027::12)

Even if I import one, I get this error and cannot proceed.  My question is how do I do this?  Does each image have to be manually reformatted to an accommodating format of AAE CC 2015?  I thought TIFF was, and I am hoping these high resolution pictures (some 120MB+) will not have to be compromised.

CAN anyone help me with this?

THANKS!!!

• 1. Re: Importing High Resolution TIFF files to Adobe After Effects CC 2015
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without knowing the specs of your files nobody can tell you anything. There is no such thing as "standard" with TIFF. There are over 200 sub-formats that support different compression methods, color spaces, byte-ordering, bit-depth, tiled/ progressive loading, multi-res etc.. You may just use the wrong one and a conversion may indeed be required.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Importing High Resolution TIFF files to Adobe After Effects CC 2015
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally I would first decide what resolution you need for your project. Each image should be at or close to 100% scale at some point in the project.  I have seen so many people complaining about problems with their projects taking a long time to render and not looking good when they are rendered. The problem is useIngram high-resolution images that have not been properly downsized and prep for video. One recent student of mine was trying to use 50 megapixel still images in a HD (1080) project.  Not one of them was ever scaled over about 15%. I suggested to him, an I am suggesting to you, that you use Light Room to batch resize and prepare the images for video snd save them as JPEG 2000.  Most were scaled to about 3000 pixels wide. Some were 5500 pixels wide. Not one image was scaled to more than 100% equivalent* in the comp. The end result looked better by far and could easily be handled and rendered in After Effects.

* 100% equivalent on a 3D layer means that it is never closer to the camera's zoom value with the layer scale set to 100%.

You can scale way up if the layer is moving and has motion blur turned on. Other than that, at some point in the program when the image is in the "hero" position the layer effective scale should be near or at 100%. This also goes for vector art. The scale is not necessarily a problem with Illustrator art because you can always turn on continuously rasrerize, but the layers are just a lot easier to work with.