17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2016 3:52 PM by Richard Southworth

Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

zergkind

Hello!

After hours of surfing on my issue with no result I hope for your help.

The situation:

1. Win10x64
      2. Adobe CC
      3. Camera RAW 9.7.0.668
      4. Thumbnails: OK, including 100% preview and rebuilding after cache purging

The problem:

1. If I try to open RAW image in Bridge, I get nothing
      2. If I try to open RAW image in Photoshop, I get error message: "Could not complete your request because of a program error"

What I have already done:

1. Complete re-installation of a Creative Cloud application set with rebooting and windows register cleanup
      2. Deactivation of a graphics processor in ACR and Ps preferences dialogs
      3. Other actions like setting "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" as a default printer :-)

The question: what do I have to do to open my RAW images in Camera RAW?

Here are some screenshots to describe above information

thumbs.jpg

acr prefs.jpg

ps prefs.jpg

err msg.jpg

• 1. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
          Richard Southworth Level 3

Have you tried opening multiple raw files, to eliminate possibility of corrupted file?  Maybe a jpeg or two?

Also check permissions on data files, copy one to desktop and try opening.

Open Event Vewer, Windows Logs, check Application and System to see if any info wrt error.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
            zergkind Level 1

Richard,

Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately none of recommended actions bring any positive result. I tried opening different RAW files and JPEGs, on my NAS shared drives and on my desktop, but the outcome is still the same.

Also I found no errors related to Adobe software in Windows logs.

One new thing is very strange:

1. There are lots of .CR2 files from my old 5DmkII, and all these files were successfully edited by me in ACR few months ago (before the recent update)
            2. On the first screenshot you can see RAW file without 'Open in Camera Raw...' context menu option
            3. On the second screenshot you can see exactly the same file in other folder with 'Open in Camera Raw...' context menu option in place
            4. Both files are correctly processed by Bridge if I choose 'Purge Cache for Selection' option - thumbnails and previews (even 100%) renewed very quickly

And yes, I forgot to say: I suffer the discussed issue not the first time. And all previous issues I solved by installing one of the previous ACR versions - 9.1 or something like that, do not remember. But this time I said "That's pretty enough!" so I'm here :-)

Still hope for the help

cr2 no acr.jpg

cr2 acr.jpg

• 3. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

How about giving us a link to one of the raw files, so we can download and try to open, verify the file is ok.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

And you need to verify you have Camera Raw correctly installed - go to PS Help > About Plug-in > Camera Raw.

Richard Southworth

• 5. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                  zergkind Level 1

Richard,

Here's the link to IMG_2104.CR2 from screenshots above: Yandex.Disk 

And PS help tells me that story:

about acr.jpg

• 6. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The image on your Yandex.Disk link opens find in ACR 9.7 for me:

• 7. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

zergkind,

As for ssprengel, the raw file opens ok in my system, which is very much like yours.

We're into guessing here - it's possible your CR plug-in is corrupt, your could try a re-install of the plug-in by going to

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

You may want to delete the Camera Raw.8bi file from c:\program files\common files\adobe\plug-ins\cc\file formats or at least move it to an isolated folder before the re-install.  Is there anything else "strange" about your system?  A virus checker other than Windows Defender?  Other stuff running?

ssprengel, please jump in, I'm about out of bullets.

Richard Southworth

• 8. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                        zergkind Level 1

Dears,

I have re-installed ACR using the link from previous message. My antivirus program is Avira Antivirus Pro. I've switched if off and tried opening my RAWs.

Nothing.

Seems like my system is a little bit cursed and I have to use some old ACR version :-(

• 9. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

zergkind,

I'm pretty much out of suggestions.  It appears your Bridge/Photoshop programs do not recognize that ACR is even present, although the Help screen shows that it is there.

Plug-ins are "recognized" when the programs start up, if your installation doesn't "see" ACR then either some start up process/script isn't running or the permissions on the folder aren't sufficient for the program to access.  Or something else.  Right click on the ACR plug-in folder (given in an earlier post), select properties, then security, and add Everyone with full control.

Good luck,

Richard Southworth

• 10. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                            zergkind Level 1

Richard,

Done with full control for all users. No effect.

I see you think that Bridge/Ps do not see ACR, but thumbnail & previews are ok with RAW files.

And even 'Copy/Paste Settings' feature in Bridge works well - you can see in on my screenshots below.

So maybe the problem is with GUI only?

IMG_2511.CR2 after pasting settings from IMG_2228.CR2:

pase settings.jpg

The same file (IMG_2511.CR2) after 'Clear Settings' back:

clear settings.jpg

• 11. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

Bridge can "see" raw files without ACR, there is an embedded jpeg in each raw that Bridge can pull out for preview.  And clearing settings doesn't require ACR, it works on either the .xmp files or the ACR database.

Is your copy of Bridge/Photoshop CC fully licensed and activated, and are you signed in?  When you look in Help on Photoshop there should be a Sign Out item.

Have you called Adobe for help?  I don't have any other ideas.

Richard Southworth

• 12. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                                zergkind Level 1

Richard,

Let me explain what I do in more detail:

1. Launch Bridge, select RAW file with adjustments applied earlier, copy settings
                                  acr copy - step 00.jpg
                                2. Add three more RAW files with no adjustments to the selection
                                  acr copy - step 01.jpg
                                3. Paste settings
                                  acr copy - step 01a.jpg
                                4. Notice changes - we can see at least contrast increase for pictures with gray card
                                  acr copy - step 02.jpg

So I suppose that Bridge definitely can see ACR if we can see 'Paste Camera RAW Settings' dialog box on step #3.

And ACR really works if we can see changes in pictures, because this is not the matter of embedded JPEGs.

Then, if I delete or rename ACR plugin file, I can see no thumbnails in Bridge after I restart it

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

no plugin.jpg

So the presence of the file really matters.

My Creative Cloud is licensed, and I can see 'Sign Out' help menu item in Ps:

cc membership.jpg

ps signon.jpg

And no, I did not yet called Adobe for help.

Anyhow, I can still use one of the previous ACR versions.

• 13. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

zergkind,

Thanks for the detail.  I have another Win10 system without CC, I loaded the free stand-alone version of Bridge (available from Adobe).  It includes Camera Raw, but does not let me output any files, i.e. it will only work as an organizer, without Photoshop installed I can't get any output.  However, I can do as you do, i.e. stand-alone Bridge includes Camera Raw, but won't let the viewer generate an image.

Ok, your situation.  It appears to me you have a version of Bridge installed that is not "linked" to Photoshop, or at least not for Camera Raw.  I recently updated to 2017, both Bridge and Photoshop.  I did this with the CC Assistant, and when I was finished it appeared as below.

CCAssistant.jpg

I would recommend you re-install CC 2017, using the standard method that will also install the assistant.  I believe for whatever reason your installation of Bridge is not fully connected to Photoshop, and therefore won't let you use Camera Raw.  If I were you I would download a clean install file for 2017 and try again.  If you decide instead to do an update to 2017 make sure you use the assistant as above.

Richard Southworth

• 14. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                                    zergkind Level 1

Richard,

Thank you for the suggestion. May I ask you about the best way to do a complete CC uninstallation before I install 2017 version?

• 15. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

On my system the 2017 installation automatically uninstalled the present CC, although it left a partial directory structure (plug-ins).  I would do nothing to your system to begin with, just go thru the standard install.  Of if you prefer do a standard uninstall of all the Adobe programs from the Programs and Features area on the Control Panel.

Richard Southworth

• 16. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files
                                        zergkind Level 1

At last, everything is ok

The solution was quite simple: clean windows re-installation after "format c:", and then - installation of Adobe CC

• 17. Re: Adobe Camera RAW 9.7 doesn't open files

Simple, but a lot of work.  I'm glad you succeeded.

Richard Southworth