2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2016 8:00 PM by ryane96958443

3D Camera Tracker Issue - Changing Solve Methods after a scene is done

ryane96958443

Hi there - I've 3D tracked a scene and put a bunch of text throughout and I'm noticing that the text is not firmly planted in the 3d space...meaning it shifts a bit as the camera rolls through the scene. 

After I finished, I noticed that my Advanced > Solve Method was set to Auto Detect - which gave me an average error of 2.14 pixels.

My question is, when I change the Solve method to Mostly Flat Scene (which changes the average error to 1.77 pixels), do I need to go back and redo all the 3d text layers or is there a work around for this? (There's a lot of text).

I am also assuming that this may help to solve my problem of the shifting text?!

Does anyone have any ideas??  Thanks!

Ryan

• 1. Re: 3D Camera Tracker Issue - Changing Solve Methods after a scene is done
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The camera tracker only adds keyframes to the camera. That's the only thing that is animated. You just need to add a new camera and see if things line up. If they don't but are close you can manually reposition your layers but it may be wiser to set a new origin and ground plane and then redo the 3D objects.

BTW, if it is long shot - longer than 4 or 5 seconds, and you have things going in and out of frame its usually better to cut up your shot into separate pieces and track each section separately. You'll get a better solve and even though you may end up with 4 or 5 cameras in your scene, you'll spend less time fussing with things. I recently camera tracked a guy and girl walking down the sidewalk in old town Sacramento and had to replace signage in 4 store windows and a couple of lamp posts. I cut the 33 second shot up into 6 separate pieces, made each a separate comp and did them all separately. There were several overlaps so I turned off the footage layer in all of the nested comps and just laid down the original footage in the main comp. Everything matched perfectly on a shot that absolutely would not successfully camera track if i tried to use the whole shot at once.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: 3D Camera Tracker Issue - Changing Solve Methods after a scene is done
            ryane96958443 Level 1

It does.  Next time I'll be taking the approach of breaking it up I think.  Thanks for the response!