21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 9:50 AM by kwhi02-rwp

Lightroom slow at moving files

kwhi02-rwp

Lightroom has always been crazy slow at moving files from one folder to another. I frequently move 1-2k photos around, a task that takes seconds in the finder takes light room 3-4 minutes. Wondered if anyone else experiences this?

Cheers,

Robert

• 1. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally, I never did have any issues alike. However, there are some users that report the same.

As far as I know, there's nothing you can do about it.

What is your OS and version, exact LR version? How about the Hardware specs?

• 2. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
            kwhi02-rwp Level 1

Thanks, Yeah I think so too. it's always been the case for me on multiple apple OS, hardware and LR versions. Wanted Adobe to acknowledge.

Currently Using

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GBRam

MacBookPro 15" Mid2012 2.3ghz Quad Core i7 16GBRam

MacPro Mid2010 - 2x2.93Ghz 6 Core 16GBRam

OSX 10.11.6

LR 2015.7

• 3. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
              dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom has to change the entries in the database, as well as actually wait for the operating system to move the files. I don't know if that should take 3-4 minutes in your case, but apparently it does.

You would be wise to use a different method to move photos. Use your operating system to do the move, and then re-connect in Lightroom using these methods: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders One reason that this method is preferred is that it is "safer" (and possibly faster as well). It is safer in the sense that there are reports of Lightroom somehow causing the photos to disappear during the move when the move is done via Lightroom; but there are no such reports of photos disappearing when the moves are done via the operating system.

Furthermore, there is an even better method, which requires zero extra time. That method is to develop a workflow that doesn't require photos to be moved from one location to another. Put the photos in their final folder, where you want to keep them, straight out of the camera, and don't move them from place to place as a part of your regular workflow. This not only saves time, but eliminates the possibility of human or computer error during the move.

• 4. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                kwhi02-rwp Level 1

Thanks for this but it's a bit like saying 'eliminate the problem of your car breaking down by leaving it safely in the garage'.

It's good to know it's not just me that experiences this. Perhaps the LR team could add this to their todo list.

• 5. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I totally agree with dj_paige.

Place the images in the correct folders when importing them. Even if you have to create those folders and copy the images into them before you start importing them.

• 6. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                    dj_paige Level 9

kwhi02-rwp wrote:

Thanks for this but it's a bit like saying 'eliminate the problem of your car breaking down by leaving it safely in the garage'.

It's good to know it's not just me that experiences this. Perhaps the LR team could add this to their todo list.

No, it's saying eliminate the problem by using Lightroom's strengths (organizing and searching using keywords and other metadata), rather than experience the problem by using Lightroom's weaknesses.

• 7. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                      kwhi02-rwp Level 1

I guess my purpose here is to identify 'Lightroom's weaknesses' and get adobe to work on them.

I glad we could identify it as such.

• 8. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files

kwhi02-rwp wrote:

I guess my purpose here is to identify 'Lightroom's weaknesses' and get adobe to work on them.

I glad we could identify it as such.

But Adobe won't work on it. LR is not a File Manager and never was it intended to be one.

Best of luck to you.

• 9. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                          dj_paige Level 9

Just Shoot Me is correct. You're really not going to see Adobe change this. You can either accept it the way it is, or use the workarounds that were mentioned.

• 10. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                            kwhi02-rwp Level 1

Why are you so sure adobe will not fix this weakness? Lots of other apps are perfectly capable of rapidly moving multiple files whilst maintaining preview and metadata, LRTimelapse for example.

• 11. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                              dj_paige Level 9

Because over the 7 years I have been with Adobe Lightroom, I haven't seen them have the slightest interest in making Lightroom more like a file browser program (like Windows Explorer or Mac Finder). It wasn't designed to be a file browser, and if that part of Lightroom isn't working as well as it could be, I can't see Adobe putting time and resources into it. In fact, you can go to the official feature request forum and read lots of people BEGGING Adobe to allow Lightroom to be used as a file browse rather than a database, and these go back years, and none of these "features" of making Lightroom into a file browser have been implemented.

What I do see is Adobe putting time and resources into major new features that affect image quality, or the ways you can use the photos (like the Book Module, panoramas, HDR), and Adobe also spends time fixing clear and obvious bugs (which this isn't).

• 12. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                                kwhi02-rwp Level 1

Thanks for this, I would see moving some files as basic functionality but if Adobe know better and want to work on HDR Book modules then who am i to complain. Maybe they’ll stumble across this post.

• 13. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files

kwhi02-rwp wrote:

Thanks for this, I would see moving some files as basic functionality but if Adobe know better and want to work on HDR Book modules then who am i to complain. Maybe they’ll stumble across this post.

It is a Basic function. But it is not intended to move large number of files.

I use LR to move some files some times. But normally I place the images in the proper folders during import or before If I want it/them in a specific folder.

If you are a Photographer plan subscriber you can install Bridge which is the Adobe Image and other Adobe format file browser and manager. But then you can also use your OS's File Manager and then Re-link images back in LR

Can you describe why you move files around. The reasons for doing this after the images are imported. Knowing the reasons behind you doing this will help point you to a better and easier workflow.

• 14. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                                    kwhi02-rwp Level 1

How many is a large number of files? As we all agree (it seems) Lightroom is slow at moving files. It means every time you move a single file it’s taking longer than it should.

This is something, to my mind at least, Adobe should look at and fix considering ‘organising’ files is meant to be one of it’s strengths. Not a weakness.

• 15. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                                      dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom's strength is that it gives you a huge number of alternatives to organizing by folders. Lightroom's strengths do not include folder organizing — if you want to organize by Folders, Lightroom will not give you any better organization than if you did 100% of your organizing using the operating system; if you want to organize by Folders, Lightroom gives you fewer features than your operating system gives you, by design.

• 16. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files

As others already have pointed out: Organizing files in folders is the wrong approach when working with Lightroom and completely against the idea and the design of Lightroom's Library.

As asked before as well, please describe your workflow and target.

• 17. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                                          kwhi02-rwp Level 1

Wow the two of you have just said, that moving files between folders is 'completely against the idea and the design of Lightroom's Library' and that they deliberately inhibit it 'by design'. Very helpful. thanks

• 18. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files

You got this wrong ... or I may not have used the correct words to express my opinion - if so, then I'm sorry for that.

The meaning is that organizing photos in LR is not about organizing files in folders. As a matter of fact, for LR you can put all your files in one single folder - it doesn't matter. There are plenty other tools in LR to find what you need among all of your photos.

IMHO, organizing files in folders is a relict from DOS (or similar) times. In LR, you can use metadata that it gets automatically from your files and metadata that you add, collections, keywords ...

To be honest, I also still have a basic folder structure ... maybe because I grew up with DOS However, al least for me, there is no need to move files around after I have imported them - this is why we have asked to get to know your workflow, otherwise a further discussion just doesn't make sense (for me).

• 19. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files

kwhi02-rwp wrote:

Wow the two of you have just said, that moving files between folders is 'completely against the idea and the design of Lightroom's Library' and that they deliberately inhibit it 'by design'. Very helpful. thanks

Now you are putting words in other peoples mouths.

You are either looking for an argument or you are looking to diminish the strengths of LR.

I place my images in folders by years, 2006, 2007 and so on, and then into subfolders by the DATE, Month and Day, that they were shot. At the start of each year I create a new folder with the name of Pictures xxxx. Then when I import into LR I have it set to make subfolders by the date format of month/day (1023).

If I need to organize them further I use Keywords and or Collections.

Some just dump all the images into one folder and use Keywords and collections.

Maybe LR isn't the program for you.

You still haven't say why you feel the need to move images around, folder to folder. And I'm guessing you won't bother to.

• 20. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files

.. as if you were describing my folder structure ... exactly

• 21. Re: Lightroom slow at moving files
                                                  kwhi02-rwp Level 1

Just quoting your responses.

My questions was simple, I didn’t ask for help with my workflow. The problem is when posting things on forums people spend time telling you why your wrong to ask and in this case why Lightroom is great. Which is largely unhelpful.

I’m sure you guys have lovely workflows and don’t need to move images around very often. I’m pleased for you. It just so happens that on occasion i do and when i do Lightroom is really slow at doing so.

We all agree this, we all also agree it’s a core piece of functionality. Lets see if Adobe pay attention.