10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 12:28 PM by Szalam

How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?

coolhandluke67

Hi,

I have been trying to export a 18 min video from After Effects 13.7.1.6, but because it is so slow (estimated 34 hours) I bought a graphic's card. I was told this should make it go faster. I now wonder if I need to put something in the settings of after effects to let it know it can now use this new GPU. (because so far it has not improved the rendering)

Some info about my system. I have a Windows 7, a 16GB RAM, 64bit operating system, 3.9Gh and I am exporting to Quicktime (h.264). The name and model of the current graphic card I got is: "nvidia geforce 710". I was told by a technician that it would be better to get a graphic card rather then jumping to a 32gb RAM (also there isnt enough slots to add it so I would have to buy two 16GB rather then 4 8GB as recommended so I was told)

Also if you have any other recommendations as to how I can make this rendering go faster please let me know. Because waiting more then a day for one video just isnt good enough. I can still return the graphic card if you think I should. However I don't have a high spending budget just fyi. Also I heard Media Encoder is slower and that you should do it directly through AE. Is that true? Also please go easy with the instruction. I am still fairly new as you can tell.

Please help me! Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

18 minutes is incredibly long for an AE project. Sounds like you are trying to use AE as an editor. 90% of my AE comps are 7 seconds or less because AE is for doing things to shots that you cannot do in a non linear editor like Premiere Pro. I consider a 30 second sequence a very long project and if it is possible always even break sequences into sections. Think of it this way - Making a movie - NLE, doing something to a shot you can't do in your NLE - After Effects, and on occasion, when you are working on a very complex animated sequence creating short scenes in AE that you can cut together to make your movie using Premiere Pro.

That said, it is not uncommon for me to build comps that take 10 to 20 seconds a frame to render. I have created many projects that took several minutes per frame to render. Pixar's former gold standard - the target they shot for with their huge render farm and amazing capabilities was 7 minutes per finished frame. AE does not use the graphics card for most of the calculations in a render. There are a few effects that can take advantage of the GPU and there are a few 3rd party plug-ins that will also use the GPU, but for the most part almost all of the work is done by the CPU and the system. Updating your graphics card at this point will not save you much processing time unless you are specifically being bogged down by an effect that can use the GPU. Without complete details of your project including all effects used, the format you are using for source files and the format you are rendering to it's impossible to say what you could do to speed up the render.

A 37 hour render is a scary thing. Every time I'm faced with a long render I render to an image sequence because if it breaks in the middle I can pick up on the exact frame where the render failed. I would never send something to the render cue or the AME to make a movie if the render was going to take longer than a half hour or so. It's just not worth the risk. This is just another reason to break your comp up into sections. Even if it is a single shot music visualizer comp. You can find breaks in the music or just break the comp up into sections and render a piece at a time. I cannot think of a single reason to put nearly 20 minutes of an AE comp into the render cue as a single item.

Give us more details and system specs down to the last decimal point and we may be able to save you a bit of time. 

• 2. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
            coolhandluke67 Level 1

I am doing a talk show type of things which I will be uploading around 2-3 times a week. I have a green screen behind me and my partner that will be showing a different type of image every episode. Usually our video should last around 12ish min. But this one is longer because I still need to edit some things out, and also because its out first video it took much longer. I need AE to do the green screen, and that green screen is stationed there the entire time.

All I have is green screen effects, some things like Keylight, Key cleaner, advanced spill suppressor. That and 4 shadows that I placed around the edges of the frame. I posted a pic below so you can see. Will the graphic's card help in my scenario? And is the graphic's card already compatible with AE or must I do something in addition? If I do break it up into section how long should they be? 2min? Also fyi I have no sound, sound is added later. Any file format you can suggest that would be faster. I am doing youtube, but I want descent quality.

If there are any other details please let me know. Thanks a bunch!

• 3. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?

If it is a static shot with no cuts then you can split it up into two or three segments if you like. You can also shoot 23.976 (24) and that will save you about 15% because it's fewer frames to process. If you render to a JPEG or Tiff sequence you could even keep it as one shot. Then drop the image sequence in Premiere Pro, do your final sound mix and then send the Premiere Project to the AME and use the standard YouTube 1080 preset. You might want to enable multi pass rendering but with so little action in the shot there may be very little gain in quality.

Hope this helps. Going directly from AE to the AME and h.264 mp4 is a really slow way to render. You'll probably save time using the two pass rendering technique, which you will need to do anyway since you are adding your sound later.

• 4. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
                coolhandluke67 Level 1

I will have to give that a shot. Will there be any quality loss if I do it as a JPEG first? And when I do the final exporting from Premiere Pro can I export with h.264? Or what do you recommend. Also please please let me know if that new graphic card is worth having. Cause if not I would really like to return it. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?

JPEG and tiff are visually lossless unless you jack the compression way up. If you have been rendering to any MPEG or any other highly compressed format and then re-rendering you are losing quality.

If you are serious about video or even just an enthusiast you owe it to yourself to study up on video formats and compression.  More than 90% of the newbies that I have communicated with on the forums or taught in seminars and workshops over last 20 years do not have any understanding of how video and compression works so they are almost always confused and don't get the quality results they should get.

You can get a good start by simply typing "rendering" in the search help the field at the top right corner of AE and checking out the help files and the community resources.

• 6. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
                    coolhandluke67 Level 1

Thats great then! I will export that way. Since you dont advice me to keep the graphic card I will return it, considering that I haven't noticed a difference in speed as of now. I will do more research on what you mentioned. Its just so overwhelming for us beginners.

• 7. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
                      coolhandluke67 Level 1

I tried all the tricks that you told me. I even did a few other things like using an external memory for the cache. Even then it took 2 hours and 6min to export a 1min video. That means for 15min it would take me roughly 30hours. I think thats insane! I will try it once with Adobe Encoder to compare. But please help me... Any kind of tips you can think of would be great! Also there would be no way I could do this green screening stuff with just Adobe Premiere right?

• 8. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

coolhandluke67 wrote:

Also there would be no way I could do this green screening stuff with just Adobe Premiere right?

I'm happy to say that you are wrong. Premiere has some pretty decent keying tools. If your camera doesn't move, it's probably the way to go.

• 9. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

coolhandluke67 wrote:

... there would be no way I could do this green screening stuff with just Adobe Premiere right?

Wrong!  PP has a darned good chroma keyer.  And if you have to edit your chroma key footage before you key, it's lots faster.  Then you can send your timeline to AME for transcoding to your delivery codec.

• 10. Re: How do I connect my new graphic's card with after effects?
                            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rickster56 wrote:

I had the same problem with AE not seeing my GPU and the CPU method was sooooo slow. But I found a video from this guy, on YouTube and I was up and running in minutes. Short and sweet instructions on what to do.

You don't have to do that hack anymore. AE has a little tick box to use "unsupported" cards. There is no need to go into the approved cards text file.

Also, the ray-traced renderer that this trick is referencing is considered obsolete, so unless you're using that, this whole discussion is irrelevant.