4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 7:31 PM by Rick Gerard

HELP! Audio Problem when importing Premiere Project to After Effects

jecamartinez Level 1

Hi, I hope someone can help me out.

Short backstory of my workflow in case it helps: When I film my videos, I also record audio using a separate mic in Audacity. From Audacity, I export that audio as MP3 files. Then in Adobe Premiere CS6, I replace my video's audio with the audio from Audacity and link them together (because my separate mic records better sound than my camera's mic). Then I edit my videos in Premiere, and import the project to After Effects CS6 to add effects (color correction, animation, etc)

Now my problem is this: When I import my Premiere Pro project containing the linked video and audio to After Effects, I noticed that the sound quality if bad (it sounds like a tin can or something). So I went back to my Premiere file, unlinked my video and audio, then reimported the Premiere project. This seems to do the trick in terms of quality, but the thing is when I try to adjust the audio levels of that sound layer in After Effects (add keyframes and adjust volume in certain places), the sound only plays through the Left Channel.

This is the wavelength of my audio file. I don't know audio terminology, but to me it clearly shows that there's sound in both channels:

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.24.02 PM.png

But this is how it looks like when it's played. Sound only comes out from one channel:

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.24.38 PM.png

This only happens to the audio files I exported from Audacity AND imported as part of a Premiere Pro Project in After Effects. I tried making a new AE composition, and dragged in my audio file there, and it plays fine even with audio level adjustments. I have no idea what could've caused this glitch, and why it doesn't seem to affect the layers of my mp3 background music.

Help please! I've tried to find solutions in Google, but I don't even know where to begin searching, or what this problem is called.