7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 3:03 PM by D Fosse

Lightroom is painfully slow.

KennethSchh

I've installed a trial version of Lightroom CC. However, many times the software is so slow it becomes practically unusable.

Some examples:
      Sometimes going from one photo to another can take 20-25 seconds before the panels becomes active and I can work on the photo. The same happens when switching modules. Often a thick black bar appears in top of the program window for a few seconds during this process and every once in a while I see that Lightroom isn't responding (See image below). That black bar also appears from time to time when I'm working with the adjustment brush.

Untitled-2.jpg

Other times it takes maybe 5-10 seconds before the image is not blurry when switching from one photo to another.

Sometimes activating various tools like crop, gradient or radial filter is slow with 5-10 seconds wait time before I can use them. Moving, rotating or adjusting radial or gradient filter is lagging a lot.

Zooming in and out or panning while zoomed in is often very slow and laggy. Panning is actually almost impossible.

My setup:
      Windows 7 64bit.

Intel i7 3.2GHz

20 GB RAM

Geforce GTX 970 GPU

Wacom Intuous Pro

Windows is installed on its own SSD. I did a fresh install of Windows a week ago and there's very few other programs installed besides Lightroom and Photoshop (and Phase One which I'm also testing at the moment).

All Windows updates and newest drivers are installed.

Lightroom catalogue, cache and the photos I'm currently working on is installed on a Samsung Evo SSD. The catalogue contains less than 800 photos.

I've turned off face recognition, paused address lookup. I've enabled and disabled GPU acceleration, tried rendering 1:1 previews, increased the maximum cache size to 100 GB but none of this has really made an impact. I have task manager running alongside and sometimes "simple" actions (like adding a radial filter) push the CPU Usage to 100%. Other times when Lightroom is lagging, even when Lightroom is not responding, the CPU Usage might only be at 50-60% (and RAM is not maxed out either.

Final remarks: Everything else on the computer runs fine, Photoshop is super fast no issues at all there.

• 1. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You indicate that you "sometimes" have these problems. Is it possible that it's right after you have imported some images? I think I have found that on my modest computer that Lightroom really bogs down right after an import because I have chosen to work with smart previews in the options. It seems to me that during the process of creating the smart previews Lightroom is unusable for me.

• 2. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
            dj_paige Level 9

KennethSchh wrote:

Other times it takes maybe 5-10 seconds before the image is not blurry when switching from one photo to another.

Sometimes activating various tools like crop, gradient or radial filter is slow with 5-10 seconds wait time before I can use them. Moving, rotating or adjusting radial or gradient filter is lagging a lot.

Zooming in and out or panning while zoomed in is often very slow and laggy. Panning is actually almost impossible.

My setup:
            Windows 7 64bit.

Intel i7 3.2GHz

20 GB RAM

Geforce GTX 970 GPU

Wacom Intuous Pro

Windows is installed on its own SSD. I did a fresh install of Windows a week ago and there's very few other programs installed besides Lightroom and Photoshop (and Phase One which I'm also testing at the moment).

All Windows updates and newest drivers are installed.

Lightroom catalogue, cache and the photos I'm currently working on is installed on a Samsung Evo SSD. The catalogue contains less than 800 photos.

Tell us some more information about your computer. What is the exact make and model of the CPU? What is the size in pixels of your monitor (do not tell me inches)?

Tell us some more about the edits you have applied to these photos. Are you performing a lot of brushing and/or spot healing on an individual photo?

• 3. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
              KennethSchh Level 1

No no I mean sometimes in the same editing session. I've been working on only one batch of photos so it's nothing to do with import. I'm not working with smart previews.

• 4. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
                KennethSchh Level 1

This is my processor: Intel Core i7-960 (Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor (8M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) Specifications).

Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth

RAM is Corsair Vengence 1600 MHz.

My primary monitor is running at 2560x1440 pixels, secondary monitor is running 1920x1080 but I'm currently only using Lightroom on the primary monitor.

I have applied quite a lot of brushing combined with radial filters, especially on those I've been working on the last couple of days now. I haven't used spot healing in the photos.

In general it's basic adjustments and lens corrections, then I add radial filters and erase areas where I don't want the effect, then I dodge and burn with the brush. Finally I add a post crop vignette.

• 5. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
                  KennethSchh Level 1

Here's what often happens when I open the export dialogue.

• 6. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
                    dj_paige Level 9

KennethSchh wrote:

I have applied quite a lot of brushing combined with radial filters, especially on those I've been working on the last couple of days now. I haven't used spot healing in the photos.

If you are doing a lot of brushing, then that is the problem. Brushing will be especially slow if the GPU acceleration is turned on in Lightroom. Having two monitors also puts additional stress on your CPU/GPU.

As an experiment, you might want to try importing some photos into a new catalog, turning off one monitor, doing some editing but no brushing and no spot healing, and see if your problem goes away.

• 7. Re: Lightroom is painfully slow.
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those timings seem extreme, and it would be interesting to hear how Capture 1 performs in comparison. I have Capture 1, and here it performs very similar to Lightroom.

That said: my own experience (from using Lightroom on several unrelated, high-performance desktop systems) is that there will always be some delays in on-screen rendering updates, it's never instant. This is particularly pronounced when switching from one image to the next.

When I'm working on a single image at a time, I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me. But when I have 300 shots to go through with a deadline two hours away, it can drive me nuts. So to a certain degree, one person's "snappy" can be another person's "unbearably slow" - even with the very same basic performance.

My personal theory is that parametric editing has an achilles heel, and that is screen update speed. There seems to be a hard limit somewhere.