6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 8:23 PM by wefollow

When you print pics, it is darker

wefollow Level 1

Hello,

I just loved the way Rightroom does Panorama pictures but every time when I printed pics it looks very darker then Original from my screen.

Person from store mention about  screen need to be adjust.(?)

This is the best place to get some good advice so I'm asking someone .....

I do merge two photos as layer from Lightroom to Photoshop.before print the pic...

thank you for reading,

• 1. Re: When you print pics, it is darker
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your print is too dark, your display is too bright. Lower the brightness to where it visually matches printed output. This is the basic first step in display calibration, which is what the person in the store referred to. To go further, you need a calibrator.

All this assuming the print settings are correct, and you are using the correct print profile for the printer/paper/ink.

Display calibration, and screen to print matching, is a large subject. But you have to start somewhere.

• 2. Re: When you print pics, it is darker
            wefollow Level 1

thank you very much,

I want to learn or setup " Display calibration, and screen to print matching" .

Do you know where I could find  the article to learn  ???

thank you,

• 3. Re: When you print pics, it is darker
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

To properly calibrate your display you need a Hardware Calibration device. Do a Google search for monitor calibration device and you will find a few.

• 4. Re: When you print pics, it is darker
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

wefollow wrote:

I want to learn or setup " Display calibration, and screen to print matching" .

Do you know where I could find the article to learn ???

Here's one of many you can find using a Google search with the words: my prints are dark

Why are my prints too dark

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&biw=1482&bih=979&q=my+prints+are+dark&oq=my+prints+a re+dark&gs_l=serp.12...0.0.0.4…

• 5. Re: When you print pics, it is darker
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Googling "why are my prints too dark" should give a number of hits. Here's a comprehensive video by Andrew Rodney:

http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4

The basic rundown is this:

First, determine that the print really is too dark. Are you viewing it in the lighting you want to present it to others? No hard and fast rule here, obviously. Determine what the "optimal" viewing conditions are.

Next a basic fact: Paper color is what it is, you can't change that. So in order to see on-screen what the final print will look like, you need to adjust the display to match the print, not the other way round. IOW - monitor white should be a visual match to paper white, both luminance and color.

All this can be set with the monitor's OSD controls. Your perception is again influenced by the working environment - so this is basically a purely visual match, no numbers can be given.

This is about as far as you can get without a calibrator. When you have one, you should also set the black point, or contrast range. Most monitors have a native contrast range that far exceeds that of any paper/ink combination. This ensures yet another big disappointment when you see the finished print, compared to the high contrast version on screen. Set the black point where it visually matches maximum ink density for the paper/ink.

The above takes you a long way. The calibrator will also linearize the monitor's response, and most importantly, create a display profile that color managed applications use to accurately reproduce the file on-screen.

The end result should be "what you see is what you get". Don't expect to get there overnight, but with some effort you can get surprisingly close.

• 6. Re: When you print pics, it is darker
                    wefollow Level 1

thank you for all that information,

Now it does make sense that most pictures are print darker.

Starter watching that video now, as you said it won't fix it over night but  I will get there...

thanks again sharing your knowledge,

James