14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 6:59 AM by Roei Tzoref

Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

Loftworks

Hello,

I am trying to find out the name I need to enter to create a shortcut for creating a new shape layer in my composition. I am looking around the Shortcuts.txt document on my Mac and I can't find it. So when you open up the document, for each shortcut there is the name of the function on the left and then the shortcut itself on the right. So for example, creating a new solid looks like this: "NewSolidInComp" = "(Cmd+Y)"

What do I need to put on the left side for the function to create a new shape layer? Tried calling and using online chat support but they said to come here.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Deselect all the layers (F2), switch to the pen tool (G) or shape tool (Q), and start drawing.

Or, deselect all the layers and double-click the shape tool.

I know that's more than you probably wanted, but it's the fastest way I know to do it.

• 2. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
            Loftworks Level 1

Hi Szalam, Thanks but this is not what I am looking for. I want to a create a shortcut for making a new shape layer in the shortcut.txt file that adobe after effects stores all of the shortcuts in

• 3. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

I know it's not what you were after, but until we can figure out a keyboard shortcut, there's this almost keyboard shortcut workflow.

• 4. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Loftworks wrote:

I want to a create a shortcut for making a new shape layer in the shortcut.txt file that adobe after effects stores all of the shortcuts in

Well, making a new shape layer isn't like making a new solid.  User input is required to make the shape.

No user input... no shape... no shape layer. 

It's pretty straightforward -- you can't do it

• 5. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Well, making a new shape layer isn't like making a new solid. User input is required to make the shape.

No user input... no shape... no shape layer.

It's pretty straightforward -- you can't do it

I don't agree. You can create an empty shape layer the same way you can make a solid.

See?

newshapelayer.png

The problem our OP has is that it doesn't have a handy shortcut.

Although, I don't know why you would want to create an empty shape layer with a keyboard shortcut. I could see a reason for a script to do it perhaps, but not a keyboard shortcut.

• 6. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

a shortcut to create shapes would be very useful.  I personally have asked it as a feature request. Op maybe you should too. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Although, I don't know why you would want to create an empty shape layer with a keyboard shortcut.

an empty shape layer is useful if you want to create your own bundle and not have Ae create a default fill+stroke+group etc. it also gives you the option to first select the 3D switch, and only then start drawing, which is useful if you are inserting a new layer in the middle of a 3d camera scene. add a blank shape layer, make it 3d (now it's interacting in 3d space, the add path etc....

• 7. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

Speaking of, if you have ft-toolbar, you could use that to make a keyboard shortcut for this...

• 8. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

have not used it... maybe I should look into it. I kinda want this to be already in Ae. it's the only native Ae layer that does not have a shortcut. it's used all the time and deserves its rightful place in the shortcut file .

• 9. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally I don't need anymore of a shortcut than the shortcut key for the tool (G for pen for example) and then start drawing a new shape. If you just create a new shape way or you don't get anything. If you need a new ellipse double click the tool or just click and drag.

If you happen to have a layer selected and don't want to draw a mask all you have to do is hold the ctrl/cmnd Key down and click anywhere in the comp panel or the timeline and then start drawing. I am not sure what a new keyboard shortcut to create an empty shape layer would do for you.

• 10. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

I am not sure what a new keyboard shortcut to create an empty shape layer would do for you.

I described this in an earlier post. this would be useful to me, but definitely not too important. Layer styles shortcut and Time reverse keyframes are more important to me. but having a shortcut menu same as Premiere, Illustrator and Photoshop would kill all those birds in one stone.

If you happen to have a layer selected and don't want to draw a mask all you have to do is hold the ctrl/cmnd Key down and click anywhere in the comp panel or the timeline and then start drawing.

do you mean a layer other than a shape?. the only way I know to create a new shape is to deselect all layers and use the rectangle/pen tool or layer->new->shape layer or right click on the timeline and new-shape layer. I don't see a way to create a shape layer while being selected on another layer - this will create a mask. I see no reference for this shortcut here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-shapes-masks.html#create_a_shape_or_m ask_by_dragging_with_shape_tools .

please share how you do it exactly.

• 11. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To select a shape tool press g or q and observe the tool bar to see which tool you have selected. Each time you press a shape tool shortcut you get a new tool.

If you have a layer selected and you wish to deselect all layers you can hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key to temporarily change a shape tool to a selection tool and click anywhere in the Composition panel that does not contain a layer. You can even click on the boarders of the viewer and as long as there is no layer beneath the spot where you click you deselect all layers with this action and then have the shape tool available to start a new shape layer.

You can also click anywhere in the timeline that is not on a layer or property name to deselect all layers. There is no need to hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key when doing this unless you are clicking in the graph editor.

You can also press Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + a to deselect all layers. I cannot remember the last time that I accidentally drew a mask  when I intended to create a shape. For me it's just like touch typing. I never look at the keyboard when I type and I nearly never look at the keyboard when I'm moving around an AE comp.

Sorry, I still don't see any advantage to creating an empty shape layer with a keyboard shortcut, then selecting a tool and creating your shape but feel free to submit a feature request.

• 12. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
                                If you have a layer selected and you wish to deselect all layers you can hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key to temporarily change a shape tool to a selection tool

I see what you mean now - using the Ctrl/Cmd key to deselect all layers. thanks for clearing that out.

Sorry, I still don't see any advantage to creating an empty shape layer with a keyboard shortcut, then selecting a tool and creating your shape

this is not my workflow when I create an empty shape. I create an empty shape layer and add contents through the Add button in the Shape hierarchy. this way I am able to create my own combinations and not get the default bundle. but as I said, this answers a specific scenario in a 3D scene. sometimes I use shape paths to add vector elements to a map in 3D when I am already in the scene and my Camera has zoomed in the scene, I want to be able to add a shape but make it 3D so the path will be accurately placed where it should. if I create a shape using the pen tool or rectangle, it is not 3D, I then have to check the 3D switch and the shape will now change to be placed in interaction in a 3D scene. I then have to manually change the shape to accommodate or delete it. if I create a new blank shape, then switch to 3D, and then add my elements - it's all in its right place. so 2 advantages: incorporating a 3D shape comfortably inside an already zoomed 3D layers setup, and creating my own bundle from the start.

• 13. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut
                                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

The problem with creating shapes by just de-selecting everything and drawing is that it creates the layer at the top of the layer stack (unless I just don't how to do it).

So any time you've saved by not creating the layer first via the menu is pretty much canceled out by having to move the layer where you want it.  I've requested this feature also...I guess maybe I use shapes more than most people? 

• 14. Re: Creating a Shape Layer Shortcut

Yes, There's the layer stack issue too. Forgot about that Thanks for the reminder.