5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 11:51 PM by Willi Adelberger

Space before shift+tab not consistent.

DNA Wied

I am getting various results when applying shift+return in my design. Sometimes there is a space before the jump to the opposite frame edge, other times it is snug to the left content. Any ideas?

_16-020_Summit_Church_Sponsorship_Challenge_indd___125_.png

• 1. Re: Space before shift+tab not consistent.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is inconsistency in the spacing after the right-hand ends of your regular tabs as well. In the screen shot it looks a bit like the underline style you used is dashed. Is it?

• 2. Re: Space before shift+tab not consistent.
            Jeff Witchel, ACI Adobe Community Professional

Select the Tab with an Underline that is falling short with your Type tool and try using a negative Tracking number in the Character panel. This will squeeze in an extra Underscore.

• 3. Re: Space before shift+tab not consistent.
              DNA Wied Level 1

Do I really need to individually track each line? There is no "stretch to fill gap" sort of function? I guess I assumed that with the shift+tab, it would slam right and fill the space completely with the fill character. Makes sense that it happens this way, just seems there should be a stretch the gap character option... My fill character is a simple/single "_" character. I will adjust my tracking in the mean time, but if anyone has a better shift-tab with underscore fill option, I would love to hear it.

Thanks for your timely weigh-in folks!

Blessings!

• 4. Re: Space before shift+tab not consistent.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I guess maybe you are using a "leader" for the tabs, rather than applying an underline. The real underline is more consistent.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Space before shift+tab not consistent.
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Apply a character style with underline.

To get the right edge, you need to type shift+tabulator key.

Never, never use a 2 or more (normal spaces in a raw, as you did in the line with home, mobile, work, either use a fixed space (like em-space) which are allowed to be used in a raw, or use a tabulator character. Normal spaces have not a fixed width, they can vary according the settings in the used paragraph style in the justify section.

Instead of using an undeline style you can draw a line and insert it as an anchored object where you can adjust vertical position and width via an object style. The length of each one can be changed with the direct selection tool.

2 people found this helpful