7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 4:06 PM by JFPhoton

New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm ready to upgrade my current system (plagued by bsod) with a new system.  My current is:

Asus P9X79 Pro

i7 3930K

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) PC3 17000

GeForce GTX 870 (ZOTAC)

Corsair PSU (850 I think but I can't see without pulling open the case)

Main drive 240GB OCZ-ARC100 SSD

I've posted here as well as on TomsHardware a few times to trouble shoot the frequent BSoD, and made progress with your help, but they still crop up.  But I need a second editing system anyways, so I'll keep this one around and will certainly still use it often.

I frequently use AE for 3D camera tracking, occasional lighting (usually just of 3D text) and occasional Element 3D- but plan to do more 3D work with it.

I currently only edit 1080p (and nothing RAW), but would like the possibility (or easy upgradability) of editing 4K or RAW.  I do occasional greenscreen work and will likely upgrade to a camera/format that is uncompressed and of higher resolution- I haven't researched this yet.  This is strictly for editing- no gaming.

I don't want to cut corners, but I do want to be frugal if possible.  I would like to build a system under $2000, but please tell me if that's cutting corners.  I already have a monitor for now and a Seasonic 850w Gold PSU I picked up during an online sale.  One of my troubleshooting attempts with my current system was buying a 64GB kit of Rijaws Z.  I don't suppose it's possible to use this RAM in the new system and put my old 32GB kit back into the old system, is it?  I am more than happy piecing this together over the next month or two as parts go on sale.  I know not all parts go on sale or have promotions, but non-specific parts, like cases, I am happy to look for rebates/deals or even buy used if it makes sense.

I've been reading a few of these forum posts about editing systems, but I know how quickly hardware goes outdated (or how quickly new hardware is made available).  It sounds like many people are suggesting the Asus X99 board.  There are some models that are <$200 and others that are 3x that.  I'm not sure what differences really make the difference for an editing system.

So, where do I start and can I put this together for <$2000?

Thank you!
      -Stephen

• 1. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

a new x99 basic system will start around $2k, but some storage needs can also increase that alot. it would be based around an i7-6800k and a gtx 1060 6gb with some ssd's. for your budget you are basically building the modern equivalent of your current pc. those new parts will have alot of under-the-hood changes from your current system, but may not be a massive speed improvement.

new computers are using ddr4, so you wouldn't be able to use the ddr3 unless you build a slightly older 4-6 core system.

some x99 motherboard features to consider are the m.2 pcie ssd slot, pcie lane assignment/splitting, and the thunderbolt header for a thunderbolt add-in-card.

the new versions of AE have removed the band-aid fix of multi-processing and they are attempting to make AE truly multi-threaded. there will be a software bottleneck with AE until they fix it, unless you use an older version.

if you aren't able to figure out the cause of the bsod's, you could also take it to a local repair shop to have them repair it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?

Thanks for your reply RoninEdits.

So, it sounds like it's necessary to up my budget.  I looked at some of the other builds that were falling in the $3k range.  Is that more reasonable?  I can still be savvy with parts that I can find on sale (one build I saw had a $200 case, but because I'm not too worried about noise, I think I would be happy with a more basic full tower case).

I assumed as much about the DDR3/4 when I was looking at designs on PCPartPicker.  Oh well.

I see a lot of people using the ASUS x99 boards, but the X79Pro I've been using has been a nightmare.  I've spent so many business hours troubleshooting only to find that they are obscure but known problems.  There was a driver for USB that needed to be manually uninstalled and replaced with a Microsoft driver to prevent the system from rebooting when a 3.0 (not 2.0) plug was plugged into the front USB 3.  I've got a Blue USB microphone that is recognized on every other computer but will not for the life of me recognize on this system.  Things like that I've never experienced on other systems, but this one is just a pain from the day we built it.  In any case, I know this is not ALL ASUS motherboards, so if x99 is the way to go, I'll go that route.

It might be possible to drop the box off at a repair shop now.  In the past with higher end systems there weren't any stores locally that had compatible parts to swap and test- but I know it's an older system now.

So, do I keep trouble shooting this pain of a system, or bump my budget to $3k and build a system that works while keeping this system as a secondary system (and troubleshoot it as I am able to)?

15 years ago I designed and build many computers, but now I have to rely on smarter people since I no longer know enough about all the technical specs of hardware/software.  What I mean is, I can easily assemble a system and even troubleshoot to a point, but it's the technical knowledge I lack.

Thank you for your help!

-Stephen

• 3. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?

asus motherboards were one of the only brands to have x4 m.2 and thunderbolt headers. more motherboards have those features now, so if you want to avoid asus you should still be able to get those features.

a $3K budget will get into a 8 core build, with limited storage. if you expect to be doing 4k raw in the near future it might be a good idea, but if you have no idea when you will be doing those kinds of projects i would hesitate to buy as better next gen stuff is always coming out. if you think you will be working with 1080p for a while, there are lots of used parts or used pc/workstation options to get by with until you need a 4k+ build.

• 4. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?

Thanks for your feedback RononEdits.  Would you suggest I just optimize and stabilize my current system to the best it can be, then next year when I need a more powerful system I build it then (and based on the hardware at that time)?  I know my current system is not only unstable but also not optimized the best.  For example, I don't have harddrives set up the way I should and currently only have one SSD drive (and most others in a Raid box for editing and redundancy.

I removed my Corsair 850 PSU today and put in my new Seasonic 850 80+ Gold PSU.  Not sure what if any difference it will make, but at least I will eliminate that from the possible troubles.

Thank you,

Stephen

• 5. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?

Stephen Pickering122 wrote:

Would you suggest I just optimize and stabilize my current system to the best it can be, then next year when I need a more powerful system I build it then (and based on the hardware at that time)?

basically yes. if you need a second computer to help renders then you need to decide what kind of computer would be acceptable for the second computer or to replace your current computer.

• 6. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?

Sounds good.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll start a new thread for help on what to focus on for upgrades.

Thanks again,

-Stephen

• 7. Re: New build under $2K for Premiere Pro and AE?
                      JFPhoton Level 3

....would be good to wait a little....many new items will be out in a few months that offer dramatic improvement in performance :

1. The NVidia 1080ti GPU is expected shortly after the new year and it will supposedly offer performance close to that of the flagship TITAN X at a reasonable cost. Leaked info on it is already available.

2. The WICKED fast , brand new Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCI SSD is on pre-order already....due in 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. It has been reviewed and offers awesome storage performance and will be available in 1TB and 2TB versions besides the smaller 512GB model.

If you would have the 8 core 6900K CPU paired with the above....with BOTH the memory clock of the GPU overclocked AND a healthy overclock of the CPU above 4.2 Ghz ,or higher, you will have a FAST,FAST system which should handle all your needs.

With the capacity of these NVMe drives getting so much larger, I am wondering if the best performance will be obtained by simply putting EVERYTHING on one of these large 1 or 2 TB Samsung Pro drives.....i.e. no more separate "boot drive",or, other separate drives for "cache,etc."......I would like to hear what Bill Gehrke, Ronin, or, Eric at ADK would say about that.