22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 11:36 AM by MicheleAlise

Modify layout position of library object

MicheleAlise Level 1

I've created a library of objects that I use to switch out content in certain documents. So far so good, I love the alt place feature that puts the content in exactly the right position on the page so I don't have to mess about.

I know I can edit the content by double-clicking, but there are times when I'd like to modify the placement of that snippet to accommodate changes in my layout or margins, but the object isn't correctly positioned inside the edit window, so I have no idea how to make the adjustments.

Can anyone offer some guidance so I can continue alt-popping those bad boys right into place in my documents?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Modify layout position of library object
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Michele,

are you speaking of CC Library assets?

I guess, yes.

What do you mean by: "… but the object isn't correctly positioned inside the edit window" ?
          Can you show some screenshots where this problem is apparent?

Some tests with assets and CC Library are showing that the positioning when double-clicking the asset in the library is relative to the original page where you added the assets to the library. But that page size is perhaps not shown after the double-click. Instead a page size is shown that is derived from your [Standard] preset of your "New Document" dialog. In my case, a German InDesign version, that is A4 Portrait. Even if the assets are from a, say, A3 landscape page, double-clicking the asset will show an A4 portrait page.

So in case you want to rearrange the position of the asset keep in mind the original page size where the assets were build. Change their position after double-clicking and you should be good to go…

Regards,
          Uwe

• 2. Re: Modify layout position of library object

In case you want to know that:

You could trace the temporarily opened InDesign document after you double-clicked an asset in your CC Library in your file system. With my OSX 10.10.5 the files are stored in a "TemporaryItems" folder.

Just invoke the context menu when clicking on the document's named tab and activate "Show in Finder" or "Show in Explorer". There you can see that with the opened document a PDF together with an IDMS file was created as well.

Regards,
            Uwe

• 3. Re: Modify layout position of library object
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

For such purposes, I make a workaround:

1. I create a text frame.
              2. I anchor the object into the text frame.
              3. I define the position of the object as part of the object style of the object's frame.

Later I am able to redefine the object style even across several documents by editing the anchored frame options in the Object Style.

• 4. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                MicheleAlise Level 1

Laubender, I'm using CC Libraries, and in the edit window, the object appears precisely centered inside a default-sized page. But my document is the default size, so the placement shouldn't change.

Here's another problem I just discovered. If I edit the object, the alt+place no longer puts the object in the original position, but centers it on the page just like in the edit window, even when my edits had nothing to do with changing placement.

• 5. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                  MicheleAlise Level 1

Hi Will, my "objects" in this case are actually blocks of text, so I don't see how I can use anchors to make this work.

• 6. Re: Modify layout position of library object

Hi Michelle,

I think, it would make a huge difference, if you place an asset on a facing-pages spread document, if the asset was made from a none-facing page. And vice versa. That would explain a lot.

Regards,
                    Uwe

• 7. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                      MicheleAlise Level 1

Sorry Laubender, I didn't understand your suggestion about tracing the document. I'm not familiar with that term.

• 8. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                        MicheleAlise Level 1

"I think, it would make a huge difference, if you place an asset on a facing-pages spread document, if the asset was made from a none-facing page. And vice versa. That would explain a lot."

Laubender I see how this might make a difference, but I'm not using facing pages in this document. Also, it seems to make no difference because after I edit the object, it places directly in the center of the page. Seems like a bug.

• 9. Re: Modify layout position of library object

You could go to the place where the temporary document is saved.
                          And there you'll find an IDMS snippet file you could backup (copy to another folder in your file system) so you can easily go back to the old state after doing your changes.

That's all to it…

Regards,
                          Uwe

• 10. Re: Modify layout position of library object

Hi Michele,

can you post some screenshots where you can show us:

1. Where the asset is supposed to be placed

2. Where the asset actually is placed

3. The temp InDesign document after you double-clicked the asset in your CC Library

Frame edges showing, rulers showing.

Note: To use screenshots in answer use the Forum controls and do not attach the images by mail:
                            AdobeForum-HowToPostScreenCapture.png

Regards,
                            Uwe

• 11. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                              MicheleAlise Level 1

Laubender, I did as you said and saved a copy from edit mode, but it saved exactly as it appears in the edit window, centered on the page, so this doesn't resolve my placement issue.

If I wanted to go to that much effort, I'd just copy the object on-page and paste-in-place to a new document, and re-use and edit it from there instead of using CC Library. Or, for that matter, I could simply make edits the object on-page, and then re-save it to the CC library. This seems to contradict what the library edit mode is for, but it's probably the most efficient solution.

Maybe Adobe will refine this feature a bit more so that it works as expected.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!

• 12. Re: Modify layout position of library object

Sorry, I still don't get what the issue is…

With my tests all positions of placed assets from CC Library with or without pressing the alt key are explainable and follow some distinct rules (InDesign CC 2015.4 v11.4.1.102 with OSX 10.10.5).

A wild guess: Perhaps some text wrapping is taking place with your text frames?

Regards,
                                Uwe

• 13. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                                  MicheleAlise Level 1

To recap my issues:

1. I am unable to make layout adjustments to CC library objects in edit mode because the viewing environment does not reflect the actual document layout.

2. Issue #1 is moot because after ANY type of edit to a CC Library object (placement, edits to type, etc), the paste-in-place command does not work anymore, the object is put in the center of the window, not in the original position.

I have no text wrapping turned on. These are very simple text frames with virtually no formatting other than basic paragraph styles.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

This is the document with the frame to be edited selected.

Document with object frame selected.png

Here is what the edit mode looks like for my library object.

Library Object Edit Window.png

Here's the edited object placed back into the page.

Object placed after edits.png

• 14. Re: Modify layout position of library object

Thank you for showing the issue.
                                    Could you show the "New Document" dialog as well, please?
                                    Maybe that will give a hint what's going on.

Do the two documents, your working one and the temp doc, differ in:

1. Page size (perhaps because you changed the page size before by using the Page Tool)

2. Facing pages vs. None facing pages

Regards,
                                    Uwe

• 15. Re: Modify layout position of library object

Ah. Another idea:

Check your preferences with the options for "Snippet Import".

That's the 18th tab from top.

Position: "Cursor Position"
                                      vs.

Position: "Use Original Location"

That would influence the storing position and the placing position of the asset.
                                      Maybe I'm up to something here…

Regards,
                                      Uwe

• 16. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                                        MicheleAlise Level 1

Do the two documents, your working one and the temp doc, differ in:

1. Page size (perhaps because you changed the page size before by using the Page Tool)

2. Facing pages vs. None facing pages

In object edit mode, the “document setup” is greyed out, however I can see that the page size is US letter size, same as my original document.

So after I saved the edit mode document and looked at the settings, the page size is US Letter and facing pages are turned off (same as original doc). However, my new document default does have facing pages turned on, not sure how this factors in. I could understand if the object was placing to the left or right, this would make sense, but it is dead center, so facing pages wouldn't create this.

• 17. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                                          MicheleAlise Level 1

Check your preferences with the options for "Snippet Import".

I did, in fact have "cursor position" checked in my Preferences, so I made the change to "original location", exited InDesign, reopened and got the same result.

• 18. Re: Modify layout position of library object

In your second screenshot you are showing the temp doc after double-clicking the asset in the library.
                                            I see the same picture—the asset is centered on the temp page—if I switch from Position: "Use Original Location" to Position: "Cursor Position" with my "Snippet Import" preferences.

Hm. But that would not explain the problem with placing the text frame from the CC Library where it is landing always in the center of your working document.

Regards,
                                            Uwe

• 19. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                                              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can use alignment to guides and border guides. Global changes can be done via Layout Adjustment or Liquid Layout.

You could also anchor text frames in another text frames, and via Object Styles define their psoition, but it is impossible to thread them in that case.

You can also use Object Styles to define the size of text frames.

• 20. Re: Modify layout position of library object

MicheleAlise wrote:

… in fact have "cursor position" checked in my Preferences …

So the chance is, that the asset was created as Position: "Cursor Position" was turned on in the Preferences.
                                                Maybe that makes a difference? To be honest: I'm out of clues now…

Regards,
                                                Uwe

• 21. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                                                  MicheleAlise Level 1

So the chance is, that the asset was created as Position: "Cursor Position" was turned on in the Preferences.

Maybe that makes a difference?

I had the same idea, so I went ahead and re-created the library object with the new settings and got the same result.
                                                  I'm out of ideas too.

I sure do thank you for your efforts Uwe!

• 22. Re: Modify layout position of library object
                                                    MicheleAlise Level 1

I will do more tests and report back! Thanks to all who replied