5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2006 1:41 AM by dacodac

Playing older projectors on new intel macs

Nick Crowe
      hi

I recently got a new mac intel laptop and found that none of my projector movies are supported by the system. This includes pieces made between 1998 and 2006 on versions of director upto 8.5. Actually a piece I finished in Febuary of this year is showing as not supported!

Is all this work obselete now? Are there any third party solutions to getting these works to still play - other than watching them on an older computer. Or would they work if I republished the movies from the source files with an uptodate version of Director?

thanks in advance for any help

nick
        • 1. Re: Playing older projectors on new intel macs
          Level 7
          Might have to hold one's breath for quite a while before an intel mac
          solution arrives, if ever.

Don't projectors work in an emulation mode?

Apple's bootcamp will allow windows to be run on a new mac, providing a
          horendously longh workaround path.
          • 2. Re: Playing older projectors on new intel macs
            Level 7
            While I don't have access to an Intel Mac, I've heard credible reports
            of projector bundles working.
            • 3. Re: Playing older projectors on new intel macs
              hgray123
              quote:

Originally posted by: Nick Crowe
              ...This includes pieces made between 1998 and 2006 on versions of director upto 8.5. Actually a piece I finished in Febuary of this year is showing as not supported!
              nick

Did you mean to say "versions of Director AFTER 8.5"?

Director versions up to 8.5 were only capable of creating projectors that ran in Mac OS 9.x or below. On recent Mac computers running OSX, OS9 was able to be run in an emulation mode called "Classic". Classic mode is not supported on the new Intel Macs. If you use a later version of Director, you should be able to create OSX versions of your projectors that are reported to work on the newer systems (I don't have a machine to test). Of course you need to make sure you have versions of any Xtras that will work properly in OSX.

Hope that helps.
              Hardin
              • 4. Re: Playing older projectors on new intel macs
                Nick Crowe Level 1
                Thanks Hardin

that does seem to be what happenend here - ie the 'classic' emulation mode was keeping these works alive. They were all made on copies of director upto 8.5 - a little antique I know.

the good news is that I downloaded a demo of macromedia mx 2004 and managed to republish these works in a form that will run on the intel macs.

the bad news is that i now have to get a copy of mx 2004.... or (more likely) find a friend house locally that will let me on their machines for an afternoon or two!

many thanks for everyones help on this
                bes
                nick
                • 5. Playing older projectors on new intel macs
                  dacodac
                  hi,
                  I use a mac-intel, OSX, director 2004 MX update 10.0.1.
                  My movies do not work on it, and first I thought it was xtras and old version, but with a new file and a simple element on the timeline, when I run, nothing happens, I mean the timeline does even leave the first frame. What can I do to make it work ?

Thank you for your help.

[edit]I updated the osx and i works now... [/edit]