11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 9:18 AM by dj_paige

Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?

chesterdawg Level 1

So my laptop needs to be replaced after 5yrs. I had to disable the graphics acceleration in Lr so it would not freeze up. It has a dedicated memory card etc.

Anyway I want to know the best components to seek for my new laptop mostly for Lr / graphics and some video editing.

I know I want an SSD drive and also HD but is 7200rpm a must with SSD?

I want a DVD burner

How much RAM (16GB min?) what kind of RAM?

How much video memory and which card?

Intel vs. AMD? I think I know the answer (Intel?)

Processor, is the i7 Quad core the latest/fastest/best for photo edits?

I know it must have USB 3 (blue) but what is 3.1C?

illuminated keyboard would be nice

Anything else I should know/look for?

Can I get his under $1200?

I've been using hp for years (I think mostly AMD chips and ok performance) and also have a nice Asus desktop with SSD drive that is about 4yrs old and still works like new.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
          dj_paige Level 9

Quad core i7 CPU is important, get the fastest quad core you can afford.

If you have an internal SSD and you put your catalog file on the SSD, it doesn't matter what speed the other drive is.

16GB of memory is a good amount, although you could probably get by with 8GB, as most LR operations work fine under 8GB.

Video card is only important if you have a 4K or 5K screen on your laptop. Please read Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ . If you have a normal HD screen, 1920x1080 then you don't really need to spend lots of money for a graphics card, a cheap one or even the built in graphics will do.

USB3 is NOT required, although most computers that you can buy today have USB3.

THE ABOVE STATEMENTS APPLY TO LIGHTROOM ONLY. IF YOU ARE DOING VIDEO EDITING, YOU MAY NEED DIFFERENT HARDWARE.

Can you get this under $1200? I don't know, I haven't bought a laptop ever, but you can do the research yourself.

• 2. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Apple will release the new MacBook Pro tomorrow. Usually good but not cheap.

• 3. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

chesterdawg wrote:

I want a DVD burner

For any particular reason? I don't know if any laptops come with DVD drives these days. Most manufacturers regard them as yesterday's technology. It's all about producing the thinnest hardware possible now.

If you really need one buy an external portable one.

• 4. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven’t burnt a disk in years. I upload slideshows/videos directly to Vimeo. But I guess some users still want to view on regular TV’s.

• 5. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
                  chesterdawg Level 1

Good point I just like the ability to be able to burn to DVD I guess the USB would do the trick although it's just another expense. Thanks

• 6. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
                    chesterdawg Level 1

Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for the fast informative reply.

So is a graphics card just necessary for video editing and streaming? I also do some of that although it's mostly photo but I do use it to stream Netflix on occasion. Would I need a good video/ graphics  card for streaming video?

so is there a big difference between 2.6ghz, 2.8ghz, and 3ghz?

I also thought that all of the programs got loaded on the SSD drive which made everything boot up fast but that all the data like my photos,music and video are put on the hard drive so wouldn't 7200 RPM hard drive operate faster in Lightroom?

I'm just trying to get this right.

So when is the most Ram necessary?

Thank you

• 7. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
                      dj_paige Level 9

chesterdawg wrote:

Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for the fast informative reply.

So is a graphics card just necessary for video editing and streaming?

Every computer has to have a graphics card (or equivalent built into the motherboard). You have to have one. Lightroom doesn't benefit from an expensive one unless you are using LR with a 4K or 5K screen. As I said, if your screen is 1920x1080, you can get by with a cheap video card or one built into the motherboard. I can't comment on video editing, that may or may not have different hardware requirements.

so is there a big difference between 2.6ghz, 2.8ghz, and 3ghz?

Big difference doing what?

I also thought that all of the programs got loaded on the SSD drive which made everything boot up fast but that all the data like my photos,music and video are put on the hard drive so wouldn't 7200 RPM hard drive operate faster in Lightroom?

If your programs and Lightroom catalog file are on the SSD, the photos don't have to be on a fast disk at all, they can go on your slowest disk, you will never notice the difference of tiny fractions of a second speed decrease if you choose a slower disk.

So when is the most Ram necessary?

Lightroom doesn't need more than 8GB of RAM for most of its operations. More RAM is needed for running programs simultaneously, or for other memory hungry applications that you may use.

• 8. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?

chesterdawg wrote:

I just like the ability to be able to burn to DVD

For personal use I assume? Like 99jon, I haven't burned a DVD in years.

For sharing these days it's external hard drive or cloud.

• 9. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?

As you know, today's smart TVs accept portable hard drives or can download from the Cloud.

Download is how I view most media on my loungeroom TV, including personal stuff.

• 10. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
                            chesterdawg Level 1

Thanks everybody and please keep the tips & info coming.

Does 2.6ghz vs. 2.8ghz, vs. 3.3ghz etc make a difference in speed/performance?

Often times with my laptop and 8GB ram and 1GB video/graphics card Lr will freeze and I'll have to close and reopen. It also is slow to show the results of adjustments. I'd like to see the adjustments take effect immediately and for it not to slow/freeze.

So and picks or pans on Intel or AMD chips and AMD vs. Intel vs. Nvidia graphics?

Thank you

• 11. Re: Need New Laptop for Lr / CC?
                              dj_paige Level 9

whatever was causing that freezing is not impacted by the video card speed

you still haven't stated the size of your monitor in pixels, and depending on your answer, you may not need to spend money on an expensive video card (for Lightroom)