3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2016 11:38 AM by Rick Gerard

Quote about cartoon for a music videoclip

slam629

For the first time a band has commissioned me a cartoon for a music video.

I'm a graphic designer and comics artist and it's the first time someone commissions me a cartoon, until now I've done some GIF in Photoshop and I'm taking the first steps with After Effects.

I would to ask you which animation software you advice me to use and where I can find good tutorial / tips n tricks

And which price is fair for this work ?

• 1. Re: Quote about cartoon for a music videoclip
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you seen Adobe Character Animator yet?

CC Animate, Character Animator, and After Effects are all good animation tools, but which to use is rather dependent on how you want it to look. Heck, a lot of folks are doing animation with Cinema 4D, but shading it like it's 2d animation.

As far as what a fair price is, that depends on the length of the video and what sort of content they're asking for. Primarily it depends on how much time it's going to take you to make it and what you charge per hour.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quote about cartoon for a music videoclip
            slam629 Level 1

You said software choice depends on how you want it to look, can you tell me examples about which style/genre is best for Animate, Character Animator, and After Effects ? Until now I've just used After Effects.

About the price nothing has chosen until now, the song lasts 5:47

• 3. Re: Quote about cartoon for a music videoclip
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No matter what software you use it's important to use the classic technique of pencil test, ink and paint,  and edit. Pencil test is a test of the motion in a shot, not a scene in the movie, using just the elements that are going to be moving. When you get the motion in the shot you move to Ink and Paint to add the details in the shot like background, color and effects. Then the shot is rendered and you edit the movie by loading your shots into a NLE and editing the final product and adding the sound.

If I were doing animation in AE and I had a music track to follow the first step I would do would be to create a couple of master drawings for each phrase or each line in the music and cut them together as kind of an animated story board for the project. I probably would use pencil sketches or Illustrator to create these simple sketches and edit them in Premiere Pro.

In AE I would create the animations for each phrase in the music as a separate comp and see how the animation works. When I've got the basics done I'd replace the first edit with the shots and see how the story is working.

Only when I am happy with the edit would I go back and add backgrounds and the other effects needed for each individual comp.

If you try and just start in on a 5 minute project in AE you'll end up with hundreds of layers and a comp that is nearly impossible to work in, and it will take you forever to do your test renders and make changes. Follow this advice for any animation program that you choose to use. Even though it sounds like a lot more work, in reality it's a lot less work in the long run to use the pencil test, ink and paint, and edit workflow limiting each pencil test to a single shot or very short sequence in your movie.

Here's a little help on the bid. If you have time for testing take a single sentence or phrase from the song, storyboard it, edit a storyboard so that you can see how the images work with the audio, do a very simple pencil test animation using whatever method you choose, then do the ink and paint part - where you fill in the details. Record the time for each step in the process. Multiply the time for each step with the number of phrases you are going to animate. Take that number and multiply it by at least 2 to come up with the total rough estimate for the job. If it were me and I was given about five minutes of audio to cover and each phrase was 6 seconds long then I would have 1 hr for story board and edit, 2 hours for pencil test, 2 hours for ink and paint so that's 5 hours per phrase. 5 minutes is 300 seconds so that's 300 / 6 is 50 shots. 50 * 5 is 250 hours. Multiply by 2 for editing and client review and you have 500 hours. I think that's probably a pretty reasonable guess for the kind of work that I would do on that kind of a project. If you are making as living in the US as an independent contractor and you are paying your taxes and paying any kind of overhead at all you need to charge about $95/hour to run a successful business. Discount that by 10% to 20% for a long term contract and you've got about $80 * 500 so a reasonable bid for the kind of work that I would do on a project like this would be somewhere around $40,000

If your client can't afford that then you have to match the style and the look to the budget. You do that by working backwards and running some tests. The testing required for an accurate bid unless you are doing this kind of work every day and you know how long it takes to get 6 seconds ready for review and approved. If I were doing something that I had never done before I'd devote a good full day to running some tests on the system that I thought I would use, then divide the time it takes me to get something done in half and use that as a starting point. You may need more than a day's testing. There is no way to jump on a forum, ask a few questions, and then run through a tutorial or two and use that to come up with an accurate bid, especially on a job that may easily take you 3 or 4 months to complete.

I hope this helps. In reality, there is very little money available for most projects because video is a commodity now. You have to sell your creativity to make a living.