2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 8:21 PM by Willi Adelberger

how to restore a synchronized book layout to a previous version

cc_13c94114923

Using InDesign CC 2014, Mac.

I'm a fairly new user to InDesign's Book features. I ran into a problem that I need help with. Attempted to export a book file (as a copy) to PDF. The layouts associated with the .indb had triangle icons to the right of the file name, indicating a change had been made in a copy of the original file. I selected Synchronize Book from the fly-out menu, thinking it would update from the same files in my folder. I was dismayed when I discovered changes were applied from the "wrong" file. I thought closing the book and selecting Don't Update would undo my synchronization but it didn't. The files remained the same.

Is there a safe way to undo synchronization of an InDesign file?

• 1. Re: how to restore a synchronized book layout to a previous version
          Migintosh Level 4

I used to do book work, but it's been a few years and I'm not sure I understand your problem.

cc_13c94114923 wrote:

…indicating a change had been made in a copy of the original file.

Does that mean that you had a book file that had certain InDesign files as it's chapters, but now that book file has other InDesign files as it's chapters (and it sounds like you might mean copies of the original files). If that's so, you could remove the chapters from the book file (the copies) and import the ones you would rather have (the originals). I don't remember if it's necessary to undo the section starts of the chapters after you remove them from the book, or if the book will redo them once you import them back into the book, but keep an eye out for that if the pagination doesn't work. You could also just create a new book file, but make sure the InDesign documents you import aren't part of another book at the same time.

Then again, I could have read your question incorrectly, and if that's the case, maybe you could tell me where I got it wrong.

• 2. Re: how to restore a synchronized book layout to a previous version
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

When you import files into an INDB book file, those are NOT copies, those are the original files. When you do changes the originals are changed.

You have to go back to your last backup, no other solution is possible.

I would recommend working on a DropBox drive or similar as these cloud solutions have a regular backup where the user can step backward and restore a former version.

Of course, any other local solution might also help like Apple’s TimeMachine regularly applied.