11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 3:09 PM by William Hamilton 987234

Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

William Hamilton 987234

After a hard drive failure I replaced the HD and updated to the macOS Sierra 10.12.1. I was able to reinstall LR from a backup but when I tried to change some folder names I suddenly had zillions of duplicates and triplicates. In desperation I manually deleted the 106k photos and my collections. Now when I try to restore from the backup I get message in LR saying " No photos in selected folder". I have uninstalled/reinstalled LR without any success. My LRCat backup shows it contains 2.02 Gb. Please help.   Mark H.

• 1. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't understand "but when I tried to change some folder names I suddenly had zillions of duplicates and triplicates". Exactly and in great detail please explain what steps you tried that led to this situation.

Also, please tell me that you used a copy of the backup, rather than using the backup itself. If you used a copy, the backup is still available for you to use again, and doesn't have the above problem.

• 2. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup
            bob frost Level 3

Did you have a backup of your original images, not just your LR catalog? LR doesn't store your images, it just catalogs them and your edits. So you need to copy your original photos from your backup of them, as well as reinstalling LR and copying your backup of your catalog. Then you will need to re-render all your previews which with 106K, will take a day or two!

Bob Frost

• 3. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup
              William Hamilton 987234 Level 1

My originals are on two different ext HD’s and are fine. My first restore went fine. But when I somehow ended up with so many dups I went to the main “all photos” folder in LR and deleted them  ( “select all, delete” ). After that steps there still were empty grey cells, no image but with the small left lower corner symbols like a regular photo and I deleted those. Cannot understand what now prevents another resore. Thank you

• 4. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

On my first restore all went fine. Previously in my LR I had a folder for, say, 2004 labelled as “ Photos 2004 “ but after restore all the separate yearly folders were in folder list as “Photos…” i.e. could not tell which year it was so I changed the folder name to “ 2004”. This caused the “Photos 2004” folder of original files ( on ext HD ) to change it’s name also to “2004”. I think before all that first I tried starting by changing the name of the folder of original, then LR didn’t know where the pictures were and I would try changing the LR folder name. I never tried to import any original files again. I did have many dups BEFORE doing the restore— a long story of transitioning from PC to Mac 3 years ago but not 4 and 5 of each image like I got after the restore. One thing that was odd was that when I did my first restore the zip file “ Lightroom Catalog lr zip” was greyed out and I had to try many times before it would open.

My restore was using my original backup file. I have since copied it onto another ext HD. I tried to do the restore with  an older backup file ( I have about 15 of them ) but the zip file on all of them is greyed out and will not open. Appreciate your help.

• 5. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup
                  dj_paige Level 9

I'm still having trouble understanding what you did and where you are now. Are there question mark icons on some or all of your folders?

What does it mean that "the zip file on all of them is greyed out"? Can you show me a screen capture?

• 6. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.  But if you say that you  selected all of your images and chose to delete them, then they are gone. Your images are not  in Lightroom, but rather in folders on your computer. Lightroom simply points to the images. If you have backups of your images then you will have to restore from those backups and start the new catalog, importing all of your images again and starting over.

Just for clarification, although your images are not in Lightroom, if you choose to delete those images then Lightroom invokes the standard deletion process and sends those images to the trash or the recycle bin.

• 7. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

For the 3 of you trying to help me I apologize for not explain the problem well enough. It is probably secondary to my lack of full understanding of LR  and the confusion of exactly how I got into this mess and how to describe it. Let me try again:

#1 After replacement of the bad HD I was able to restore by LR catalog from a 7/26/16 backup though I had to try several times to get the LR Cat zip file to open. All original files safely on 2 ext HD as are multiple backups of LR catalog

#2 For reasons I don’t understand I ended up with many dups/triplet of photos in the folders in LR. This occurred after I tried to change some of the name of the LR folders. Simplistically I thought that I would “empty out” all the LR photos by deleting them (106k) and start over by

doing another restore from the 7/26/16 backup but when I clicked on FILE then OPEN CATALOG then on the BU folder and hit “open” I only get a message in the middle on the LR screen saying “ No photos in the folder selected” and nothing happens.

#3 I tried using older backups but the LR CAT zip file in none of them will open. Attaching a screenshot of my LR with the 7/26/16 backupwindow open .In the same window is an example of the type of zip file that is white/grey and will not open.

#$ I have tried uninstalling/reinstlaing LR program

Thanks all

• 8. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

Regarding your point #2,  if you deleted the images then they were not just deleted from Lightroom. They were deleted from your hard drive. You  tried To open a  backup catalog, and that catalog is expecting images to still be in those folders. But you deleted them. So now you might as well start a new catalog, restore images from your backup, and start processing your images again.  Restoring a backup catalog will not restore the images. The images are not in the catalog.

• 9. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

I only deleted images from the catalog, not the originals. All original files located on two connected ext HD.I have checked and they are there. The crux of the problem is the inability to restore the LR catalog from the backup file. Thanks

• 10. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

When you delete the images from the catalog, did you choose the "Remove from catalog" option, or did you choose to delete them?  Unless you chose  to remove them from the catalog then the deleting process also deleted them  from their folders. That is why, as I understand what you have explained, the backup catalog that you restored indicates that there are no images.  The catalog is expecting the images to be in those folders. If I am misinterpreting  what you have done, please clarify. Also, in order for the backup catalog to see the images those images would need to be in the same folder location as they were before. An alternative would be for you to update the folder location and point to the images in the backup folder.

• 11. Re: Unable to restore Lightroom from backup

Jim, I only deleted images from the LR catalog, all original are safe. Swamp gas and mirrors— I just connected a new Magic Trackpad to my iMac and tried again ( prob 12 previous attempts) and the zip file of my most recent backup opened like a charm and I was successful in restoring my LR catalog with photos from 2002 up to recent. I still have the duplicate problem but can deal with that and I think I understand now why they are there ( will not waste your time ).Though just a duffer these photos and all the LR room work on them mean a great deal to me, as I am sure you understand.So thanks to ALL for sticking with me. I do not understand how the magic works but I’ll take it.Signing off--   Mark