11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 10:00 AM by udpumpkin

5D Mark IV Lightroom Error

alexs81016995

I use a 5D Mark IV and Lighroom 2015.7 / 6.7. I import directly from the camera to Lightroom, my main RAW files get imported to a NAS and have discovered an error. With the 5D Mark IV importing files directly to an internal SSD I will never get an error, however when I import to my NAS about 80%-90% of the time I will get an error after a random number of images are imported saying: "The following files were not imported because they could not be read or the destination folder is not writable." I tried hooking up a couple of other cameras, T2i, and 5D Mark III and they could all import to the NAS with no issues whatsoever. I think that there is a timing issue with the new large file sizes of the 5D IV when writing to a NAS (which is obviously going to be slower than an internal drive) or being pulled directly out of the camera and Lightroom thinks that the delay in time is a lost connection between either the NAS, or camera. If there's a way to increase the timing before it throws that error I think that the problem could be fixed. If anyone else has any input or experiences similar issues chime in. Thanks!

• 1. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi alexs,

If you were able to import files before without any issue from EOS Mark IV and now its giving you permissions error.  Its clearly indicates that there are some changes has happened over the nas drive permissions.

Also, if you want you can reset the Lightroom preferences back to default just to make sure that there's nothing wrong from Lightroom's end.

Press the shift + option keys immediately after you restart Lightroom, and select Reset Preferences from the resulting dialog box.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
            alexs81016995 Level 1

Hey Mohit,
            I am able to import from any other camera with no errors directly to the NAS without any issues, I only get issues pulling directly from the EOS 5D Mark IV, and only 80% of the time I get issues, and I can get every image in, but it requires multiple tries. Seems to be something directly linked between Lightroom and the 5D Mark IV. Using Canon's import software I can pull it in just fine to the NAS. I really think there's some "timeout" error that Lightroom is throwing with the large file sizes of the Mark IV.

• 3. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Canon 5D MKIV is one of the first Canon cameras to implement a USB 3.0 connection. It could very well be that is what's causing LR to timeout. What type and model system are you using and does it have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectors. If so try using one of the USB 2.0 connectors and see if the problem is resolved.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
                alexs81016995 Level 1

I had not even considered that, I do have some legacy USB 2.0 ports and I got it to import the same 100 test images 5 times in a row with no failures when I connected it there. I guess something about USB 3.0 in the Canon and Lightroom not talking with each other right. Thank you for your input trshaner!

• 5. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error

A Kingston FCR-HS3 USB 3.0 Memory Card reader works fine in a USB 3.0 port on my Windows 7 system. It's tough to say where the fault lies (system drivers, camera firmware, LR device driver, motherboard hardware issues, USB cable).  There are still numerous issues with USB 3.0 on many systems. When it works it usually works very reliably and improves the transfer rate significantly.

Common issues in USB 3.0 devices – Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog

In many cases the higher data rate is what causes problems to arise (i.e. increased system noise). First suggestion is to purchase a short 1M or 3 foot USB 3.0 cable and try that with a direct camera connection. If that works you can try a 2M or 6 foot cable of the same make. I use these:

Amazon.com: Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to Micro-B Cable in Blue 3 Feet: Computers & Accessories

• 6. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

alexs81016995 wrote:

Hey Mohit,
                    I am able to import from any other camera with no errors directly to the NAS without any issues, I only get issues pulling directly from the EOS 5D Mark IV, and only 80% of the time I get issues, and I can get every image in, but it requires multiple tries. Seems to be something directly linked between Lightroom and the 5D Mark IV. Using Canon's import software I can pull it in just fine to the NAS. I really think there's some "timeout" error that Lightroom is throwing with the large file sizes of the Mark IV.

I was having similar odd-ball errors with one of my card readers. Changing USB cables seemed to solve the error. Check to see if you have a bad cable.

• 7. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
                      udpumpkin Level 1

I'm having the same problem only instead of importing to a NAS drive, I'm importing to an internal 3.5" drive.  I could get anywhere from 0 to 15 pictures imported (out of 50+) before I would get an error and the import would stop.  I ended up putting the card in my old 5D mk ii and the pictures imported just fine.  It is something with the 5D Mk iv and import over usb.  My front usb ports are 3.0.  I didn't think to try one of the usb 2.0 ports, which I'll try shortly.

• 8. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error

udpumpkin wrote:

My front usb ports are 3.0. I didn't think to try one of the usb 2.0 ports, which I'll try shortly.

Please let us know if that resolves your Import issue.

You can also try using another USB 3.0 cable with 3' or 1 Meter length. The Canon Supplied USB 3.0 cable may have issues. Amazon.com: Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to Micro-B Cable in Blue 3 Feet: Computers & Accessories

• 9. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
                          udpumpkin Level 1

Thank you for the suggestions.  Switching cables seems to have worked.  I never would have guessed the cable that came with a new camera could be the culprit.  Thanks!

• 10. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error

Just out of curiosity what length is the cable that worked in a USB 3.0 port and the length of the Canon USB 3.0 cable that didn't work?

• 11. Re: 5D Mark IV Lightroom Error
                              udpumpkin Level 1

The Canon cable was ~5 ft.  The one that worked was less than 12".  I ordered a 6 ft cable from Amazon and I'll report back if that doesn't work.