9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 2:55 PM by Szalam

Rendering Q's

ronkinderz Level 1

Hi.

Is it faster, let's say, to generate particles or to use a footage of particles if possible, rendering-wise?

On the same matter are hidden layers still get rendered?

And third, if you could direct me to a link with recommendations for optimizing export/rendering, I would be grateful.

• 1. Re: Rendering Q's
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is it faster, let's say, to generate particles or to use a footage of particles if possible, rendering-wise?

Depends on what number of particles we are talking and how they are generated. Of course particle systems can be slow, but so can using pre-existing footage, scaling, keying, retiming and recoloring it. It all comes down to concrete settings and effects used. Beyond that it's merely a matter of what you are actualyl trying to simulate and how much effort it takes.

On the same matter are hidden layers still get rendered?

AE is self-optimizing and will skip over hidden layers, layer with 0% opacity and layers that are completely outside the comp. How well this works of course still depends on teh actual structure of your comp. Peopel have wondered about the strangest things just because they thought 0.001% opacity is the same as exactly zero, which it is not. Being thorough, diligent and careful helps.

And third, if you could direct me to a link with recommendations for optimizing export/rendering, I would be grateful.

Same as your first point - without concrete scenarios nobody can tell you much beyond whta is already listed in teh help and articles/ tutorials linked from there. This is too complex to exhaustively cover every possible combination. Give us your specs and info on your project and we can help. Otherwise this will only end up being an endless and uselles dance around the barn.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rendering Q's
            ronkinderz Level 1

My PC is pretty old but should be sufficient for my purpose:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz

4GB RAM DDR2 400MHz (upgrading to 8GB 800MHz soon)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

I've got 2 SSD's , one that the system and AE runs from and another for disk cache and conformed media cache. also 2 regular hard drives.

My projects (1080p) are between 2-10 minutes long and they contain the same template as following:

-Particles emitter (Particular) which emits from outside of the screen (do I need to trim that in some sort so that AE will not process what's going outside?) that reacts to music (Sound Keys) + Camera layer.

-4 Audio Spectrums that react to music (Sound Keys) which are in a comp within the main comp.

-720p footage duplicated also in a pre-comp inside the main comp, also reacting to Sound Keys.

-Looped GIF as background

-Still image

-Music track

I hope that clears things up.

If you could recommend specific optimization and also please direct me to guidance for general optimization of AE and Media Encoder in terms of exporting the project.

Finally if you can recommend optimal settings for the SSDs & HDDs, what to put where and what will improve my performance hardware-wise for future upgrading.

I appreciate your help very much!

• 3. Re: Rendering Q's
              ronkinderz Level 1

The current setting of drives is:

SSD that runs AE and OS

SSD for disk cache and conformed media cache

HDD that the project is saved at

HDD for the export

4 different drives in total.

• 4. Re: Rendering Q's
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

4GB RAM DDR2 400MHz (upgrading to 8GB 800MHz soon)

this is very low RAM amount. even below the recommended, that is very low.

see here for system requirements:

After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

see here for improving performance:

Improve performance in After Effects

• 5. Re: Rendering Q's
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

-Particles emitter (Particular) which emits from outside of the screen (do I need to trim that in some sort so that AE will not process what's going outside?)

Irrelevant in this case, since Particular's internal processing will consume much more resources than any benefits of cropping the pre-composed layers could give you back. Other than that - yes, your PC is very old and wasn't even the best in its hayday. So whatever you attempt to do to make AE faster is more or less meaningless. you realyl simply need a faster processor and more RAM.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Rendering Q's
                    ronkinderz Level 1

Isn't the rendering getting done on the GPU?

Any recommendations for minimum CPU and RAM to fulfill the type of projects stated?

• 7. Re: Rendering Q's
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

ronkinderz wrote:

Any recommendations for minimum CPU and RAM to fulfill the type of projects stated?

Nope.  AE uses RAM when rendering.  Think about having 16GB to be in pretty good shape.

• 8. Re: Rendering Q's
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ronkinderz wrote:

No; After Effects renders on the CPU for most things.

• 9. Re: Rendering Q's
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ronkinderz wrote:

In most cases, pre-rendering your particles will make your composition run faster. Playing back one video file is (in most cases) going to be a lot easier on your computer than calculating and then rendering thousands of particles.