4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 7:32 AM by MobileDeveloperCK

Copy and paste

zalmen55

Unable to copy a text from a PDF file the new update  from Apple iOS 10

• 1. Re: Copy and paste
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi zalmen55,

Can you actually select text in the particular PDF document?

Here are possible causes:

• Your PDF document is a scanned PDF that contains no actual text.
          • Your PDF document contains the document security setting that disallows "content copying".

Please let us know if you would like us to examine your PDF document to determine the exact cause of the problem.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Copy and paste
            zalmen55 Level 1

I can select text on the pdf attachment however, it shows that i can copy

but when i do it doesn't paste the text anywhere.  This was never a problem

and only started after the IOS 10 update.

Would you like me to forward an email with a pdf attachment so you can

check it out.  It isn't only occurring on one or two attachments, it is

happening on every email with a pdf attachement.

by the way, i did find a way around it, by saving the docurment in Adobe

Acrobat and then selecting the text i want to copy and paste; However, this

takes up a lot of time and  memory from my phone and I would prefer to be

able to do this directly from my email attachment. ( as i have always done

in the past, prior to the update).

Thank you in advance for looking into this matter.

Zalmen

• 3. Re: Copy and paste

Hi,

Thank you for offering to share your PDF document with us (Adobe).  I sent you a forum private message with the instructions on how to share your PDF document with us.

We will investigate the cause of the problem and let you know what we find.

BTW, is your iPad/iPhone owned by your company and using Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) by any chance?

Thank you very much for your help!

• 4. Re: Copy and paste

Hi zalmen55,

Thank you for sharing your PDF document and screenshots with us via private emails.

Your PDF document was shown in the Preview mode in the Gmail app and the "Inbox by Gmail" app on your iPad.

The Gmail apps are developed and maintained by Google, not Adobe.  Google, in turn, uses Apple's iOS SDK to show previews of various types of documents (PDF, Word, Excel, etc.).  It appears that Apple has made some changes along with the iOS 10 update.

The problem that you observed was introduced by Apple's iOS SDK or the Gmail apps.  We (Adobe) are not able to address the problem in other iOS apps.

The following screenshots show that not all PDF viewers are developed by Adobe Acrobat.

You can tap anywhere in a PDF document to show the toolbars so that you can distinguish one app from another.

Adobe Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad

Adobe Acrobat Reader.png

PDF Preview shown in Gmail

PDF Preview in Gmail.png

PDF Preview shown in "Inbox by Gmail"

PDF Preview in Inbox by Gmail.png

Hope the information clarifies the issue.