5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 1:21 PM by Roei Tzoref

Where did "Clear Guides" go?

petern13957509

This option seems to have left the view menu.

• 1. Re: Where did "Clear Guides" go?
          petern13957509 Level 1

I'm in Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3, v13.8.1.38 on a Mac, 10.12.1 OS.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Where did "Clear Guides" go?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

there it is:

what do you see in your screen? show us

• 3. Re: Where did "Clear Guides" go?
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

This is a bug in After Effects on macOS 10.12 Sierra only. It doesn't occur on 10.11 or earlier. It affects After Effects CC 2015.3 and earlier, but is fixed in the upcoming release of After Effects.

Specifically, in the View menu on macOS 10.12, the Show Guides and Clear Guides commands are mislabeled as “Lock Guides” and “Show Grid”, respectively. (The existing Lock Guides and Show Grid commands are also present.) The mislabeled commands still function as their original intention to show or clear guides, with the exception that the toggle state on Show Guides (“Lock Guides”) doesn't work. Instead, use the keyboard shortcut Command+; for Show Guides instead, or toggle the Guides option in the Guides and Grids Options menu at the bottom of the Comp window.

This is one of a "family" of bugs in the View menu on macOS 10.12 which will be fixed in the upcoming release of After Effects. All of them have the same cause, which is that macOS 10.12 adds a superfluous Show Tab Bar command to the View menu, which does nothing useful in After Effects, but affected the functionality of other commands in the View menu. The last bug is that some panel-specific keyboard shortcuts for commands in the View menu (e.g. set viewer resolution with Command+J, Command+Shift+J, or Command+Option+J) stop working, but only after you use that shortcut and then use any other shortcut in a different panel.

Again, all of these issues are specific to macOS 10.12 and are fixed in the upcoming release of After Effects.

3 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Where did "Clear Guides" go?
                Spacecat66 Level 1

Is there going to be an update for 2015 for Sierra? Unfortunately, my company got me a new computer with Sierra (10.12.2) on it, but the rest of my team isn't going to be upgrading to CC 2017 any time soon. All these the minor problems are really annoying.

• 5. Re: Where did "Clear Guides" go?
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                  Is there going to be an update for 2015 for Sierra?

try at costumer service since the Team rarely answers questions here. judging by past experience I doubt that any update related to later Os versions bugs will be implemented in any older version of any of the CC software. maybe you will find more information here: List of compatibility issues with Adobe Creative Cloud products running on macOS 10.12 (Sierra)