6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 4:33 AM by mrmcmo

Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom

mrmcmo

Hi there,

this might be a stupid question. But would you be able to help me please.

I have a laptop and I do some editing on the Laptop while on the go. But my main Desktop is at home and I would like for the adjustments made on the laptop to be saved when I put them into Lightroom on my Desktop.

Is there any way to make this happen? I thought just saving them as DNGs would do the trick but it did not.

Thank you for your help!

• 1. Re: Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom
          ds art Level 2

it's possible,
          selected your folder, right click and choose export as catalog.
          on your desktop in the menu choose import from another catalog. and al your adjustment are in.

if you need more information or step by step instruction, please ask

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom
            mrmcmo Level 1

Thank you very much for your answer. However I was looking for a way to save the changes to the picture. I don't want to have to import/export the catalog all the time. As you can imagine this happens quite a lot and I don't want to have to go through these steps everytime I change something while on the go.

Thank you again for your answer. But I do hope that there is s way to save the changes for the file. (If possible without exporting it)

• 3. Re: Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You could use the option to Auto Write changes to XMP and then when you Copy the images over to your desktop system then importing them and you will see a ! (Exclamation Mark) and when clicking on it you select the option to Read from Disk.

• 4. Re: Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Remember that saving work back to the pictures (xmp) does not save all your work. Stuff like stacks, flags, collections, history never get written to xmp, so to transfer all your editing the Export As Catalog route is best. It's not that onerous, but the more frequently you move work between two computers the more you may need to keep your catalogue on an external hard drive.

• 5. Re: Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom
                  ds art Level 2

ok, it's a bit extra effort (you have also to import the files again, so only the export on the laptop is a extra effort)

but so as Adobe is, you can to same things on different ways

another solution:

you have a few other solution, when you work with CC version and use the same adobe ID:

you can work with collections and sync them, one step future put your files also in a cloud (you could use the most clouds also offline when you are on the go, when you get home on wifi the files will be sync) that you haven't to import them again.
                  are you can follow the suggestion of john to work with a external drive

• 6. Re: Saving adjustemnts in Lightroom
                    mrmcmo Level 1

Thank you everyone for your help!

I will be doing the method with the catalog as it seems to be the easiest way. To everyone that suggested the external hard drive way, I did that in the past but the speed just wasn't as good as when I store it all on SSDs and buying an SSD external hard drive with enough space is just too expensive.

Thank you again for your time and effort!