8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 11:15 AM by dj_paige

Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration

MarcoM712

I was wondering, will lightroom support Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration?

Also, I'd love to hear some general thoughts on people who have actually been using graphics acceleration (I haven't been able to). Notice a large improvement?

I'm trying to balance If spend my money on upgrading the CPU or Video Card. I know generally it's CPU for Lightroom, but not sure what's in future for GPU support and how much it could matter (and does now if you have the right supported card)

• 1. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
          Sahil.Chawla Adobe Employee

Hi Marcom,

Please refer to this article Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Regards,

Sahil

• 2. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
            MarcoM712 Level 1

Thank you Sahil. I read that page previously, and that it only includes the older Radeon Video Cards (released in 2010). This article doesn't look like it's been updated for a while. I was wondering, since many Lightroom users are mac users, will the new macbook pro video cards (specifically the top end 460) be supported?

Also, do you have any benchmarks on how the GPU helps (speeds up X tasks by Y amount)?

• 3. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
              Sahil.Chawla Adobe Employee

Radeon Pro 460 is a rather new card and is not tested yet, but If it meets the requirements mentioned in the link above then it should work.

• 4. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
                dj_paige Level 9

MarcoM712 wrote:

I was wondering, will lightroom support Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration?

Also, I'd love to hear some general thoughts on people who have actually been using graphics acceleration (I haven't been able to). Notice a large improvement?

I'm trying to balance If spend my money on upgrading the CPU or Video Card. I know generally it's CPU for Lightroom, but not sure what's in future for GPU support and how much it could matter (and does now if you have the right supported card)

If you have a 4K or 5K monitor, then perhaps it would be beneficial for you to have a better graphics card. If you have a smaller screen, then upgrading the graphics card will not result in a noticeable speed improvement.

The answer to whole issue of improving speed requires you to state exactly what operations in Lightroom are slow. Some operations will not benefit from ANY graphics card, no matter how fast. Other operations require a faster CPU, some things depend on disk speed, and so on. So you really need to state what specific actions/functions in Lightroom are slow that you'd like to speed up.

• 5. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
                  MarcoM712 Level 1

DJ Paige, Thanks for your feedback!

I'm trying to see what exactly the video card speeds up. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that it will use the video card to render adjustments to the screen (but the CPU to apply them on save). Do you know if that's true? This seems to be the slowest part of lightroom for me (using laptop with integrated graphics now). I'm waiting forever for adjustments to apply on my retina screen.  Why exactly does having a better video card help a 4k screen? Is it what i stated above?

I had an issue with already imported photos loading up but since I switched to a external RAID 0 external drive it has really helped.

• 6. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
                    dj_paige Level 9

The technical explanation of what GPU affects and does not affect, and why, is here:

GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

You are waiting forever for adjustments to apply ... you haven't stated what size your screen is (in pixels, not inches) ... you haven't really stated if this is ALL adjustments, or some adjustments (which ones?)

As a related matter, are you doing a lot of brushing and/or spot healing in Lightroom on individual photos?

• 7. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
                      MarcoM712 Level 1

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback!

To give you a little more detail, I have a dual core Dell PC with retina with (underpowered) integrated graphics (~$1000 machine). This was suppose to be a hold over computer until the next macbook pros came out. It's been terrible mostly due to only being dual core and having such a weak graphics card for the retina (4K) screen.

I'm generally a mac person (even though I program in Microsoft .NET technologies) and have pre-ordered the new Macbook Pro. I'm trying to figure out what's the best build I can get for Lightroom without maxing out everything and paying close to $5,000! I'm trying to way upgrading a Quad Core processing from 2.6 to 2.7 GHz or upgrading the video card (Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory to 460 with 4GB). Just trying to get more educated on how lightroom works at it's core. Also considering a Dell XPS 15.

As far as adjustments i use I mainly use everything in the basic panel, tone curve, color, detail, lens corrections (on import), sometimes/rarely transform, and effects a decent amount. I also do a decent amount of spot corrections in lightroom although I move to photoshop for anything bigger than a small spec. I wish content aware fill would come to lightroom; that would bring down my exports to photoshop by about 10x.

It sounds like they will be adding more GPU features so it makes sense to have a good video card (and helps with large pixel screens).

Thank you for your help!

• 8. Re: Macbook Pro Radeon Pro 460 for graphics acceleration
                        dj_paige Level 9

What happens if, as an experiment, you do all of the spot corrections in Photoshop, rather than doing some in Lightroom. Do those photos have less (or no) slowdown in Lightroom?