9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2016 7:21 AM by trshaner

Lightroom Previews

jonathanw16443419

I've recently updated to the latest version of Lightroom CC and now my raw files are showing up as what looks like camera processed previews.  I remember turning this off in an older version of Lightroom, but can't figure it out now and Google is failing me.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Previews
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please provide more details. Lightroom always applies default settings to images when they are first imported.  Is it possible  that you need to update your  default settings?

• 2. Re: Lightroom Previews
            jonathanw16443419 Level 1

Very likely.  So when shooting raw in the past I'd import into Lightroom and the images had that flat, near colorless look.  When I import now after updating, I see that flat, near colorless look, but after a few seconds it "processes" them and displays them as what I assume is the camera-rendered jpeg view.  I can't figure out how to set Lightroom to show the true raw image, even in the develop module.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Previews
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom first displays the embedded JPEG preview when a raw image is first imported. Lightroom builds its own preview of  the raw  data based on  the default settings.  It appears that your default settings have changed. If you truly want to start with that flat  look, I suggest  that you try the following. Highlight one of your newly imported raw images  that you haven't  performed any adjustments to. In  the Lightroom  presets  you will see one called, "Zeroed" which will set all of your basic settings to  0.  Then,  just save new camera defaults and  those settings will be the ones that are applied whenever you import new images  or reset  images that are already imported.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Previews

Before.pngAfter.png

For reference I've attached the Before and After screenshots.  The After is what the image looks like after a few seconds of being highlighted in Lightroom.  I've made no adjustments to the image in Lightroom to achieve this difference.  The zeroing preset you mentioned earlier doesn't apply because it only resets all values to zero, but I've made no changes to "zero out".

In a previous version of Lightroom there was a way to disable that JPEG preview and that's what I'm trying to find now.

I do thank you for your suggestion and for trying to help.  Not trying to sound ungrateful...just trying to better explain what's going on.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Previews
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 'Zeroed' Develop preset does not  reset the camera profile.. There's a possibility you changed it to a different default camera profile. To reset it click on the 'Reset' button at the bottom of the Develop control panel, set the 'Profile' to whatever you normally use (Adobe Standard?), hold down the ALT key and click on the Reset button again and choose 'Update to Current settings.'

• 6. Re: Lightroom Previews

Has no effect.  It defaulted to the Adobe Standard profile. 

• 7. Re: Lightroom Previews

Make sure you are using the latest update, which is CC 2015.6.7 or 6.7. Two other possible causes:

1) Try disabling GPU support in LR Preferences as shown below.

2) You don't mention the OS you are using, but Windows 10 updates have been reported as hijacking and installing a monitor profile that is incompatible with LR. Try recalibrating your monitor if you use an i1 or Spyder device or replace it with the sRGB profile. If using a wide gamut monitor replace it with the Adobe RGB profile. See below instructions

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-wh ether-its-corrupted/

• 8. Re: Lightroom Previews
                        brendanf42000312

Jonathan. Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having the same question? My raw format is ARW (Sony as7II).

Brendan

• 9. Re: Lightroom Previews

If using an in-camera picture style setting you will need to "manually" select that setting inside LR's Develop module 'Camera Calibration' panel. You can create a Develop preset or change your Default Develop Settings to apply that profile. If you're looking for a more "flat" rendering try 'Camera Neutral' as shown below: