3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 10:38 AM by Colin Holgate

Filters cant animate ?

Zipzap32 Level 1

hello everyone , this thread seems to have been answered by many users but maybe there is an update ? i simply try to animate a "blur filter" to a symbol and for example make it from blur to accurate , but it seems that the filters wont execute , when i render the scene nothing moves . Is that a dead end ? no one can animate filters like blur / glow etc is that a canvas related problem ??? ????

thnaks for reading !

• 1. Re: Filters cant animate ?
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When you do the test you'll notice this in the Output window:

"Filters are very expensive and are not updated once applied. Cache as bitmap is automatically enabled when a filter is applied. This can prevent animations from updating."

It works fine with AS3 files. One elaborate work around would be to have each variation of blur on a different layer in the timeline. Like, frame 1 layer 1 would be a blur of 20, frame 2 layer 2 would be say 18, and so on down to frame 11 being a blur of 0. You would end up with the same effect, but I imagine it would be a bit more memory intensive.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filters cant animate ?
            ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

Since Canvas filter tweening is intentionally not supported because it's a very processor-intensive effect rendered pixel-by-pixel in JavaScript, I can't imagine what sort of update you were hoping for.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filters cant animate ?
              Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I just tried doing an alpha fade of a blurred version on top of a non blurred version, and of course it wasn't quite the same thing, but might be good enough in some cases.