What the Script should do
For each card in a given list of cards (Which I can format however it is easiest for PS to understand):
- Access/Open the .psd file with the same name as the card.
- Change the contents of all text layers to be the same as in the list.
- Save the .psd file.
- Save/Export the .psd file as an image file. (Could be .JPEG or .PNG)
- Close photoshop. (if it was opened)
1 A script can read a csv file you create using your spread sheet read the list of PSD files and process them xml files can alsi be read.
2 Text layers contents can be changed. It may be a bit hard to test if the changed content will fit where the old content fitted. All layer in a PSD document can be processed. However dealing with the mess you state your psd file are may be a problem for you.
3 Scripts can save psd file from documents you may be better off not saving over the original PSD files in case there are problems with your script processing.
4. you can save as many image file and image file types as you want like you can do with the image processor scripts.
5. If a script is going to close down Photoshop. It should first make sure there are no open documents. Perhaps you mean close and not save the psd documents you opened and process from your psd list.
Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to hear that all the things I am looking to do are possible. Could you point me in the right direction of which functions / methods I should look at to accomplish each step?