3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 8:44 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex Photo Upload Problem

Ryan The Geek
      Hello all,

I'm getting a Flex "Error #2038: File I/O Error" when trying to do file uploads to a Rails application server. I'm using attachment_fu, but the upload isn't even making it to the controller action according to the logs. The weird thing is that it works fine when running it on my local server (tried it on Mac OS X and Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04), but it fails consistently on certain images on a remote server (Ubuntu 6.06.1). By "certain images" I mean a .jpg that's saved through Adobe Photoshop compared to another .jpg saved in a basic editor like Paint. The .jpg from Adobe Photoshop fails to upload consistently with the above error while other images work just fine.

I also tried it with RMagick 2.5.2 and ImageScience with FreeImage 3.10.

Anyone hear of similar issues or have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan_The_Geek

PS Any assistance would be really appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Flex Photo Upload Problem
          Level 7

"Ryan The Geek" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gi18k0$1vt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm getting a Flex "Error #2038: File I/O Error" when trying to do file
          > uploads to a Rails application server. I'm using attachment_fu, but the
          > upload
          > isn't even making it to the controller action according to the logs. The
          > weird
          > thing is that it works fine when running it on my local server (tried it
          > on Mac
          > OS X and Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04), but it fails consistently on certain
          > images
          > on a remote server (Ubuntu 6.06.1). By "certain images" I mean a .jpg
          > that's
          > saved through Adobe Photoshop compared to another .jpg saved in a basic
          > editor
          > like Paint. The .jpg from Adobe Photoshop fails to upload consistently
          > with
          > the above error while other images work just fine.
          >
          > I also tried it with RMagick 2.5.2 and ImageScience with FreeImage 3.10.
          >
          > Anyone hear of similar issues or have any ideas?

Anything different about the file name or path?

• 2. Re: Flex Photo Upload Problem
            pppechinn
            Hello,

I work with Ryan on the same project. The upload path is the same and the file name and paths we use from our machines are the same for the local and remote servers (just that the file fails to upload to the remote server). One thing we've noticed about the file that fails to upload is that it has an extra parameter called "Profile name: Adobe RGB (1998)" when doing a 'GetInfo' on it in Mac OS X. Unfortunately, this doesn't hold true for all files with that extra parameter but that's the only difference we've able to find so far when examining the file that fails to upload compared to those that work. And just to reiterate: the file-in-question uploads successfully when running our application on our machines' local servers but not on the remote one.

Based off all that it seems that there is some difference between our local and remote server that's causing this to happen. Uploads in general work on both for most images but it's in the case of this particular image file and some others that don't work which leaves us with a tricky issue.

Thanks,

Paul
            • 3. Re: Flex Photo Upload Problem
              Level 7

"pppechinn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gi8l13$gpv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hello,
              >
              > I work with Ryan on the same project. The upload path is the same and the
              > file name and paths we use from our machines are the same for the local
              > and
              > remote servers (just that the file fails to upload to the remote server).
              > One
              > thing we've noticed about the file that fails to upload is that it has an
              > extra
              > parameter called "Profile name: Adobe RGB (1998)" when doing a 'GetInfo'
              > on it
              > in Mac OS X. Unfortunately, this doesn't hold true for all files with
              > that
              > extra parameter but that's the only difference we've able to find so far
              > when
              > examining the file that fails to upload compared to those that work. And
              > just
              > to reiterate: the file-in-question uploads successfully when running our
              > application on our machines' local servers but not on the remote one.
              >
              > Based off all that it seems that there is some difference between our
              > local
              > and remote server that's causing this to happen. Uploads in general work
              > on
              > both for most images but it's in the case of this particular image file
              > and
              > some others that don't work which leaves us with a tricky issue.

There might be some kind of obscure security issue. I'm not an expert on
              crossdomain issues by _any_ means.