16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2016 8:14 PM by JimHess

Lightroom edits not there

vickied1951

All of the edits that I have made to my photos are not appearing. When I open a folder all of the photos have reverted to SOC. I have done nothing to them out of Lightroom or changed any settings in Lightroom. I use a PC, Windows 10 and Lr CC. I am slightly technically challenged, but not stupid and have been using  Lr and Ps for quite some time. I just don't understand what has happened. Thousands of edits disappearing?  I have searched thru the forums looking for an ans.   Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: Lightroom edits not there
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just for clarification, are you opening these folders in Lightroom or with some other software?

• 2. Re: Lightroom edits not there
            vickied1951 Level 1

Yes, I am in Lightroom. I haven't done anything or moved anything outside of Lr.

• 3. Re: Lightroom edits not there
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Select one of these images in the library module then go to the develop module and look at the History section on the left. Do you see any edits listed in that history section?

• 4. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                vickied1951 Level 1

There is no history associated with any of them.

• 5. Re: Lightroom edits not there

Then you have opened an old or different catalog file than the one you used to do the edits. LR stores the edits in the catalog file and never changes the actual image file. If you open a different catalog file that does not have the edits recorded in it then the edits won't display.

Search your hard drives for .lrcat to see how many catalog files you have.

With LR open go to File > Open recent and see if there are any other catalogs listed. If there are open each one to find the one you used to do the edits.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                    vickied1951 Level 1

I don't know if this went thru or not so I apologize if this is a repeat.  I don't know how it happened but there are four catalogs there. I just open lightroom and import and edit photos. I have edited photos in all of them; how, I don't know. Now my question is how can I get them all into one catalog?  Is that possible?  in terms a simpleton can understand! I'm still totally baffled at how I did this to myself. At least I know they ARE there! 

• 7. Re: Lightroom edits not there

You can open the catalog that you want to be the master catalog and then choose to import from another catalog. Then you will have  the ability to choose which of those catalogs to import from. The only problem is if you have the same images in more than one catalog.  You could end up with a lot of duplicates.

• 8. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                        vickied1951 Level 1

Oh crap, I don't even know how they got in more than one.  once they are in one can I some how delete the other catalogs?  Thank you for your help!

• 9. Re: Lightroom edits not there

Yes, the catalogs are merely databases. They do not contain your images. If you can identify one catalog that has everything you are expecting  then all you have to do is delete the other catalogs.

• 10. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                            vickied1951 Level 1

So just to be sure I understand....when I import the other catalogs it will duplicate  all the ones in the catalog I'm importing to ;as well as, add the ones not there. I just want to be sure, I'll have a lot of deleting to do.  What a mess!  Thank you so much for your help and patience!

• 11. Re: Lightroom edits not there

I answer a lot of questions on the forum, but to be honest I have never imported from a catalog that included duplicate images. I'm going to say that "I think"  what you have said is true. I wish someone who had more experience  importing from other catalogs would step in. What I would do is copy the catalog that you want to be your master to a subfolder as it stands right now. Then try the import and see what happens.  If it doesn't work the way you expect then you can delete that catalog and restore the copy from the subfolder and we will look at other possibilities. I apologize that I don't have a definitive answer.

• 12. Re: Lightroom edits not there

Sorry I have never done that either, imported image from some other catalog. I started with one catalog back in 2007 with LR 1 and have been using the same catalog since then.

• 13. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                                  ds art Level 2

When you would do it without risk,

Choose your LR catalog you would keep as master,
                                  Look in your second LR catalog from where you like to import,
                                  (searche the folders you would keep, in the library Selected this with CTRL+ you can select different folders) right click on one selected folder and choose export as catalog.

In the de master catalog delete the existing folders you go to reimport (just out LR not the files).
                                  then go to files and reimport from another catalog and choose the new created catalog.

Be sure and make a bake up or a copy of the catalog first.

2 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                                    vickied1951 Level 1

Well, I have my catalog back the way it should be. A lot of vital copies were made but that's ok. I had no idea what happened or how to start to fix it. Thanks again!!!!

• 15. Re: Lightroom edits not there
                                      vickied1951 Level 1

Thank you for your help!

• 16. Re: Lightroom edits not there

Here's another approach for you to consider. Choose the catalog that you want to be your master. Go to the other catalogs and REMOVE the images that are duplicates of what is in your "master" catalog. Then open your master catalog and import from all of the other catalogs. Remember that this isn't going to jeopardize your images because removing from the catalog doesn't remove them from your hard drive.