7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2016 2:58 PM by ds art

Move files if certain keyword assigned?

ch_bla

Hi there,

I would like to move/copy files that to a different folder automatically if I assign a 'best-of' or similar keyword in LR - is this possible?

I want to do something like this so I can separate the important files to backup from others. If there are other ways I'm open for suggestions.

Thank you,

Christoph

• 1. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's nothing automatic that will help you do this. If some files aren't worth backing up, why not just delete them?

John

• 2. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
            ch_bla Level 1

It's a selective remote backup, I can't send all files there.

So it is only possible to export a collection/smart collection manually?

• 3. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
              ds art Level 2

1.create a collection for the files,

2. create in lightroom a new folder on the drive you like

3. select the collections, set the view on grid
              4. select all files
              5. drag and drop the files to the new folder
              6. anser yes on the question of moving the files

done

• 4. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Note that ds art's instructions are just as easy if you prefer to use keywords.  Click on the arrow to the right of the keyword in the Keyword List to select all photos with the keyword:

Then pick up at step 3.

• 5. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
                  dj_paige Level 9

ds art wrote:

1.create a collection for the files,

2. create in lightroom a new folder on the drive you like

3. select the collections, set the view on grid
                  4. select all files
                  5. drag and drop the files to the new folder
                  6. anser yes on the question of moving the files

done

I point out that this is a move, not a copy; and although that's what the original post asked for, the original question of backing up some photos and not others is a terrible idea, as John said. Back them ALL up, you will be much happier and safer.  Why keep photos that aren't backed up, you will lose them eventually because some day you your hard disk will malfunction.

Why make a workflow where some photos have certain actions taken, while other don't? You are only setting yourself up for confusion and eventual disaster when the desired actions of backing up on the desired photos don't happen, because all of us make mistakes. You want backups to be automated, and at a regular interval, so the possibility of human error is eliminated from the backup process.

• 6. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
                    ch_bla Level 1

I did not write that the other files are not backed up at all, I just asked how I can separate them for the backup. Please stay on topic, I've got a reason behind my workflow and I don't want to discuss it.

As written I am aware that this can be done manually, I was just looking for a way to automate this process as soon as I assign a certain keyword. Apparently this is not possible though.

• 7. Re: Move files if certain keyword assigned?
                      ds art Level 2

it's a move, but all the files are now in the same folder, with a backup program you can back up this folder