5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2016 12:39 PM by Just Shoot Me

How do I 'replicate' OSX Photos in Lightroom?

richkyd

I don't only want to import the OSX Photo library (which is a simple file upload), I want to import my hundreds of detailed, specifically sorted and edited photo albums as well. I have had enough of the poor Apple photo product and want to flip over to Adobe, but not if the best it can do is simply import 144,000 photos in one block, because I still have the almost impossible job of replicating every album manually, unless Adobe can import and replicate. Anyone know if it can do this? Sorry but the Adobe website is very poor for this level of detail and there's nothing on Google.. Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I 'replicate' OSX Photos in Lightroom?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I don't think there is any way to include Apple Photos Albums while importing images into LR. Adobe did make a plugin for the older iPhoto and Aperture programs but I don't think that works with Photos.

Did you let Photos store your images into the Package folder or did you manually store them in folder of your choosing.

• 2. Re: How do I 'replicate' OSX Photos in Lightroom?
            richkyd Level 1

I didn't set up any specific folder no, but did determine the external hard drive location for the library to be stored. I see that LR will import Events, written notes on photos, photo edits... Seems strange it wouldn't import the photo albums. Honestly if it can't do that then it's a complete nonstarter for me, because I can't possibly redo them, it would take months

• 3. Re: How do I 'replicate' OSX Photos in Lightroom?

There are no Photo Albums in LR. You can duplicate it with the use of the LR Collections.

Can you Export from Photos to specific folders on your drive and then import from those folders and create collections from those folders.

• 4. Re: How do I 'replicate' OSX Photos in Lightroom?
                richkyd Level 1

Oh dear... Doesnt sound to me like LR is a serious photo librarian then. I can imagine why they dont have albums unless they just happen to call them 'collections', in which case it's odd they simply don't convert 'Albums' to 'Collections'... I guess the next problem i is this: Can I choose which Collections to sync offline with my iPhone or does everything exist in the Cloud? Does it work like say, Spotify, where you can choose which photo Collections are available offline? I am very much an offline person, due to the utterly dire 4G & lack of decent public wifi availability in the UK

• 5. Re: How do I 'replicate' OSX Photos in Lightroom?

Yes you can select which collection get synced to the LR Mobile app.

Q) What is an Album? A) A Grouping of images in one clickable link.

Q) What is a collection? A) A Grouping of images in one clickable link.

Same thing, Different name. Like Gas and Petrol. They both make you car go.

Nothing in LR is in the Clouds unless you make it so. IE Linking with LR Mobile.

No LR is a image management program and Non Destructive image editor.

LR works with LR Mobile. I have no idea how it would or wouldn't work with Spotify. In fact I don't use LR Mobile either. If I want images on my phone or if I ever buy a tablet and want them on that I will copy the images to those devices.