16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 8:42 AM by j1928jamie

Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

j1928jamie

Hi! I just built a new video editing monster computer assuming it could easily run and handle my Canon 1Dc 4K video natively. I still think it should, but the playback is just slowed down, choppy or even frozen on every video player I've tried (WMP, VLC, MPC, Quicktime) + my NLE Premiere Pro CS6. I don't know what to do. I don't know of any much better computer build possible than I already have. Can you tell if I should be able to run Canon 1Dc 4K -footage smoothly on this machine or not? Please help me to rectify the situation?

My computer build is:

- Asus X99 Deluxe II

- Intel i7-6900K @ 4.3GHz

- Geforce GTX 980 Ti

- 128 GB RAM (DDR4, 2133 MHz)

- 256GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe m.2 (system & programs disk)

- 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe m.2 (scratch disk)

- 4 x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD in RAID0

- Premiere Pro CS6

- Windows 10 Pro 64bit

You can download and try the sample footage (1GB/15s) here:

http://valkeajoki.com/transfer/1Dc_4k_mjpeg_534Mbps_native.mov

Am I missing a codec, a setting or something? I was very upset to find out that my new machine could not handle this? I would be very glad about your help and opinion. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I cannot immediately tell you what is wrong but I just downloaded your file and on this lowly 2-3 year old laptop with Windows 8.1 in Premiere 10.4 it plays beautifully at full resolution and no missing frames.  I will now try it in CS6.

• 2. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

Interesting when I import the file into CS6 all I get is the audio.  The Codec for your media is JPEG.  Maybe someone else has some clues.

• 3. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS6 on Win 10 plays both audio and video.

• 4. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                1. Have you tested your great setup of drives with something like CrystalDiskMark.  Occasional there are setup problems.
                2. Also how have you installed the second M.2 device in your computer since there is only one M.2 PCIe motherboard M.2 connector, is it via a PCIe adapter?
                3. Have you tuned your computer?
                4. If all else fails you can test your hardware setup using Premiere and my Premiere Pro BenchMark(PPBM)
                • 5. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                  RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

do you have any other codec or nle software installed that cs6 might be using to playback the clip?

• 6. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                    Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have CC2014,CC2015, Gopro and Sony Ex codecs.

• 7. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                      j1928jamie Level 1

Hi Bill.

1.) Yes, the CrystalDiskMark's first test (Seq Q32T1) gives me the following results:

M.2 - 256GB        2270 / 950

M.2 - 512GB        2600 / 1540

4 x SSD_RAID0      1640 / 1270

(side note: the speed did not increase after adding the 4th SSD to the RAID. So the 3 or 4 SSDs in RAID0 gave me exactly the same speed as above)

2.) Yes, the 2nd m.2 is connected to the to the PCIe via ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Mini Card adapter.

3.) I don't quite understand your 3rd question related the link you share. As long as I understand the article in the link is not about tuning the computer but about the codecs? Yes I have made the big mistake by installing the k-lite codec pack, but the choppiness existed already before that. I am happy to wipe and reinstall my OS at any time if that helps. I am basically ready for anything just to make the native Canon 4K to work. At this stage I have my projects on my old computer and I can still do any tests and tricks with the new one - so I'm ready! It's just that I don't know what to try next?

4.) I followed the instructions for your PPBM. I was able to run the tests (CS6) but when I double click the Statistics PPBM6 CS6.vbs, I get the error message (translated from my OS language):

Script: <drive>\<name>\PPBM6-7-8-9-DE\PPBM6-7-8-9-10DE\Statistics PPBM CS6.vbs

Row: 54

Symbol: 1

Error: File not found

Code: 800A0035

Source: Microsoft VBScript -error during process

Something I found: Usually the WMP and Windows 10's Movie and TV application stay black on this video. If I remove the video card driver completely, those apps start to show, but still choppy.

• 8. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

Sorry about the link it should have been this one:  Tweakers Page

The script cannot find your exported files.  Either CUT and paste them to the PPBM project folder or move the Statistics file to the export location.

• 9. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                          j1928jamie Level 1

I copied the "Statistics PPBM6 CS6.vbs" to the export location, but I still get the same error.

Yes I have done most of the computer tuning mentioned in your link. Some of them I'd done before and now I got some good further advice. However I did not do the parts that require  the most manual work like "Black Viper Services" or cleaning the Adobe installation.

• 10. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

Well I do not know why you are having that problem, I just tried it my self and without any export files here is what I get, same as your error.

This means that the file "Disk I/O test.avi" is not there.  If it were there and no other files out of the four exports then you would get this error message:

• 11. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                              j1928jamie Level 1

I copied the "Statistics PPBM6 CS6.vbs" to the export location as shown in the picture below, but now I get the error saying: "The service is not installed". Can I choose any location for the export and PPBM-files as I did now? I have the export files in E:\temp now:

img.jpg

However I manually timed the export processes to get the following results:

- Disk test (RAID0 media disk): 29 sec.

- MPEG2-DVD test 1/2 (GPU): 21 sec.

- MPEG2-DVD test 2/2 (CPU): 4 min 46 sec

- H.264 test: 1 min 24 sec

What do you see from these numbers?

• 12. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

If the script worked here is what you would have seen in "Output.csv"

"29","84","21","286", Premiere Version:, 6.0.5.0

Here is my i7-5960X at 4.5 GHz with a slightly better export device and a slightly crippled GTX 970 (only running at x8)

"19","89","30","285", Premiere Version:, 6.0.5.0

1. The most important last number is the CPU intensive score and they are almost identical which is a great sign.
                                2. The third numbers are the same timeline this time with GPU acceleration.  It shows the superiority of your GTX 980 Ti
                                3. The second number is the more complex H.264 export and again your slightly better score is do to the GTX 980 Ti.
                                4. The first number is the Disk I/O test and here that test happened to have my 7 each Samsung 840 Pro's in RAID 0.  If I export to a Samsung 950 Pro I get 24 seconds.

All in all you have a great machine setup very well.

Unfortunately this does not solve your problem.  I will take another brain pill and see what happens.

EDIT:

Have you turned off compression on all your drives?

• 13. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

Here is a new CS6 benchmark that I just ran,  It is with my GTX 1060 overclocked and exported to a 950 Pro M.2 drive.

"24","80","21","284", Premiere Version:, 6.0.5.0

• 14. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                                    j1928jamie Level 1

Sounds like fast and well balanced! Hey would you mind cheking my sample footage clip in your desktop workstation with these new specs (which are all a little better than mine). I'd be interesting to hear what does it say in your various players (WMP, MPC, VLC, QT...) and PR CS6 of course. I get the following results:

WMP: black frame
                                    Win10 Movies & TV: black frame

MPC: plays slightly slowed down

VLC: freezes to the first frame
                                    QT: plays stuttering

PR CS6: stuttering as well (without rendering of course)

As you can see none of them plays OK although there should not be anything wrong about our specs should there?

• 15. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?

PR 6 on good desktop same problem, no video.  Then I went backward and fired up my previous generation desktop and PR 5.5 and found I had both audio and video.  I am guessing that the reason may be the oldie has Quicktime installed. That is not the case on my laptop and my newer desktop especially since the government has found major security holes in Quicktime player.  Windows Media player and of course CC have no problems with the video.  I do not have any other players.

• 16. Re: Choppy Canon 1Dc 4K on my new monster computer. Why?
                                        j1928jamie Level 1

I found out that my 4k footage plays incredibly well in the Premiere Pro CC 2017 trial version. It does not play well on my Premiere Pro CS6 or any media player I have tried. Is there any way to update the codec for CS6? Can I copy something from the CC2017 folder to CS6 folder to make it play on CS6 as well?