5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 11:24 AM by Dave LaRonde

After Effects installs, opens but won't register

davidp47230189

Hi, After Effects C3 has apparently installed normally on a macbook pro, license number has been accepted, AE then opens normally from the icon, but inactive, with an overlay white box, which I believe is the first time registration box.  It's empty.  AE and the box are then frozen and can only be closed with force quit.

• 1. Re: After Effects installs, opens but won't register
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What exactly are you referring to? CS 3? If so, then it's simply not compatible with current versions of OS X.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects installs, opens but won't register
            davidp47230189 Level 1

Of course, I should have said I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6, hoping to run AE CS3

Many thanks for the comment, and you may well be right.  I first tried Adobe Chat contact, sent them a screen shot, but they appear stuck and suggested this forum.   But Adobe told me they've checked the license number and CS3 on 10.11.6 should be OK.  It's also what some www. comment seems to suggest.   (I'm no computer magician myself).

https://roaringapps.com/app/adobe-after-effects-cs3

However there are obviously issues with this combination.  So any more suggestions would be welcome before I cave in and fork out.

David

• 3. Re: After Effects installs, opens but won't register
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

CS3 is version 8, not version10.  That would be CS5,  AE's first 64-bit version. 

I wish you luck in getting it to work, but I hold out almost no hope.  You're trying to run an 8-year-old, 32-bit application on a year-old, 64-bit OS.  I'll bet you can appreciate the discrepancies.

• 4. Re: After Effects installs, opens but won't register
                davidp47230189 Level 1

Thanks Mylenium and Dave.  A surprise!  AE CS3 (you're right Dave, version 8) is running apparently successfully on El Capitan!  For now.  The box that comes up is the registration box, and I managed to get it to show text sometimes by opening the one AE function it will let run behind it, After Effects Services/Services preferences.  After that's been just opened, for some reason text sometimes appears in the box.  It's the standard registration box.  But when I click on "activate", I get (as others in other forums have experienced), a message saying "We are unable to connect to Adobe to register your product".  I've tried all the stunts I found suggested on other sites, I've checked all the numbers on the AE carton and my Adobe a/c, and deactivated successfully an installation on an old machine.  No change.  Adobe Chat Help's solution?  Just click on "never register"!

• 5. Re: After Effects installs, opens but won't register
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

davidp47230189 wrote:

I've tried all the stunts I found suggested on other sites, I've checked all the numbers on the AE carton and my Adobe a/c, and deactivated successfully an installation on an old machine. No change. Adobe Chat Help's solution? Just click on "never register"!

Well, you could TRY running it without registering to see what happens, but I think you'll end up re-installing it on the older machine.  I suspect the differences are just too great.