4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 11:17 AM by LariosoDog

Smart resizing of photo collage in higher resolutions - tips please?

LariosoDog Level 1

I plan to use mixed video clips and photo collage.

But manual says max 4096x4096 size images can be handled.

My camera produce 5184x3456 in highest jpeg and raw format.

Video being 1920x1080 I guess some resizing/shrinking must be made in a smart way.

Even doing 16:9 in camera it becomes 5184x2912, assume just some cropping is performed.

I had a graphics program that hade something they called smart resizing - that analyze image and shrink in a ways that is pleasent to eye.

So planning to use HDR processing on images from camera, I don't like to reduce quality within camera already.

But mixing photo collage in video will at some point require resizing of those to same format as video.

#1. Does PE15 do some cropping when importing stuff larger than 4096 width - or just refuse to deal with it?

Thinking some kind of dialog that let you decide how to crop.

#2. What options are available to influence quality of rendering photo collage into video clips?

#3. Is it recommended to actually do resizing before adding as photo collage images into PE15?

Video is 1920x1080 so thinking photos also that before importing - or if that reduce any effects used for transitions etc.

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks.

Best regards

• 1. Re: Smart resizing of photo collage in higher resolutions - tips please?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are correct. Video resolution is video resolution. There's no point in sticking an ultra-high resolution photo into a video because, once the program digests it, it's just going to be 1920x1080. Using an ultra-high resolution photo in a video just bogs down the system as it down-rezzes the photo.

In my books, I recommend using Photoshop Elements to down-rez your photos to no larger than 2500x1875 pixels (72 ppi). This will give you the best program performance and still leave you some resolution for panning and zooming.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Smart resizing of photo collage in higher resolutions - tips please?
            LariosoDog Level 1

Ok, thanks.

I saw there was a setting Optimize Stills not to repeat the image 30 times each second, but only once.

Thought it internally might store everything is original format, and process at higher resolution.

I will have to experiment a bit for sure.

Audio recording software like ProTools and Cubase allow you to work in a project in 96k but then render at 44.1k or 48k as final result.

It's what I use making score for video - so extending a bit learning video bit as well will be fun.

A question remains - will PE15 provide a dialog, and maybe even allow to select a plugin to use for conversion?

I mean if there is such a plugin.

There are plenty smart sizing software out there, but have to test to see which way to go letting PE do a lot of scaling or not.

I have orders every week at amazon.co.uk, but your book was £34 - which is a bit much for a 300 page paperback book.

When down to £20 or something I might get it to support your work, you are very helpful and gather you also make part livelyhood of this.

• 3. Re: Smart resizing of photo collage in higher resolutions - tips please?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

PE15 could mean Premiere Elements 15 or Photoshop Elements 15 -- but excellent tools for working with photos. (In fact, so is the Elements Organizer, which includes a very good slideshow creator.) So please be specific with your questions. Let me know which program you're asking about and exactly what you're going to do.

As I show you in my books on Amazon, Photoshop Elements has a terrific batch resizer for photos. (Note that my 490 page combined Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 15 books retails for $29.95 -- about 25 British pounds. Although the illustrations are all in black & white).

• 4. Re: Smart resizing of photo collage in higher resolutions - tips please?
                LariosoDog Level 1

Thanks, I have been talking about Premiere only so far.

Currency translation is not enough, europe in general adds about 20-25% VAT.

Brittain £34 include 20% so that is £28.33 excl. VAT, when I got to shopping cart they add extra 5% for sweden.

For 500 page book, quite ok.

But not into Photoshop unless it has HDR features?

Thinking getting Photomatix for that:

HDR Photos Galleries from Photomatix users

My Camera is AEB, so can take three pictures with different exposure in one click - or produce HDR image by itself from three pictures taken..

Anyway, I will probably have my parcel tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm sure I will learn new things from your book - and want to support helpful people - so I will buy it eventually.