7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 5:26 AM by Sarthak Singhal

Fireworks CS3: How to call a background

Mike_fr
      Hello,

At work, I use Fireworks CS3. My job is to normalize our products pictures to the group’s colors.

In fact I take a picture and retouch it, then I load a standard background, I put the pic on it and I export all in jpg.

Instead of searching for the background file in my computer and copy/paste the detoured pic on it, I would like to “call” this background as a calque into my document, and automatically resize my document.

Is it possible ?

Sorry for my English, I’m French. Please use easy words to reply :)
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: Mike_fr
          Hello,

At work, I use Fireworks CS3. My job is to normalize our products pictures to the group’s colors.

In fact I take a picture and retouch it, then I load a standard background, I put the pic on it and I export all in jpg.

Instead of searching for the background file in my computer and copy/paste the detoured pic on it, I would like to “call” this background as a calque into my document, and automatically resize my document.

Is it possible ?

Sorry for my English, I’m French. Please use easy words to reply :)

My English Fireworks CS3 has an "Open Recent" item under the File menu. Would that help you at all?
          • 2. Re: Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
            Level 7
            "Mike_fr" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gh6be1$bpm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello,
            >
            > At work, I use Fireworks CS3. My job is to normalize our products pictures
            > to
            > the group?s colors.
            >
            > In fact I take a picture and retouch it, then I load a standard
            > background, I
            > put the pic on it and I export all in jpg.
            >
            > Instead of searching for the background file in my computer and copy/paste
            > the
            > pic, I would like to ?call? this background as a calque into my document,
            > and
            > automatically resize my document.
            >
            > Is it possible ?

I'm guessing there is a batch process you could do here... unfortunately,
            I've never used batch processing, so....

--
            Tim G.
            http://www.pactumweb.com
            http://www.shortordersite.com

Be smart: http://www.pactumweb.com/client/tips.php

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
              Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
              Hi Mike,

Will the following work for you?

1. Open the background image file.
              2. Import the image that gets retouched. When the cursor changes to 'L' sign just click to allow for exact dimensions of the image to be respected.
              3. Retouch the image.
              4. Export the file as jpg.

For further images to be retouched, just delete the imported file and import a new one. Some alignment might have to be done for the imported image.

A custom batch process might help you to do this if the same retouching is being done for all the images. You will need some knowledge of javascript for it.

Thanks
              • 4. Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
                Mike_fr Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
                My English Fireworks CS3 has an "Open Recent" item under the File menu. Would that help you at all?

No, this open a new document, I want to open a calque. And sometimes I have too many opened documents to view the background in this list.

For Sarthak Singhal:
                That is the procedure I use. But I would like to call the background with its fixed size without making a new document, and without searching for the file. I want to integrate my background into Fireworks' backgrounds.
                • 5. Re: Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
                  Another option:
                  Open the file and retouch it. Now open the Windows->History panel and clearly identify the last entry in it. Then do all the steps you would have done.
                  I am assuming they would be.
                  1. Adding a calque and moving it to the last as it will contain the background image object in it.
                  2. Importing the background image.
                  3. Re-aligning it.
                  4. Resizing the document accordingly.

Now the document is ready for normalization to be exported.

Select all the steps in the history steps which have been generated from steps 1-4 mentioned above. Use the save icon in the history panel and give it a name.

The result is that an automated workflow has been created from step 1-4 which can be accessed from Commands->(name entered by you while saving)

Let me know if you are stuck or my explanation is too complicated.

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
                    Mike_fr Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Sarthak Singhal
                    Another option:
                    Open the file and retouch it. Now open the Windows->History panel and clearly identify the last entry in it. Then do all the steps you would have done.
                    I am assuming they would be.
                    1. Adding a calque and moving it to the last as it will contain the background image object in it.
                    2. Importing the background image.
                    3. Re-aligning it.
                    4. Resizing the document accordingly.

Now the document is ready for normalization to be exported.

Select all the steps in the history steps which have been generated from steps 1-4 mentioned above. Use the save icon in the history panel and give it a name.

The result is that an automated workflow has been created from step 1-4 which can be accessed from Commands->(name entered by you while saving)

Let me know if you are stuck or my explanation is too complicated.

Thanks

Yes!! Perfect! Thanks a lot

This software rocks!
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks CS3: How to call a background
                      Good to know it worked. Cheers !
                      Fireworks rocks!