3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 5:50 AM by rams30

Few questions for you pros.

rams30 Level 1
      How important are standards is it ok to hack a website together, some tables here, some divs there, some AP divs and some fixed divs etc i mean as long as it looks right...?

Can you use AP divs as spacers?

Does Ajax only works on web servers, if i run an Ajax page/script on the desktop then it doesn't do what it should if i put it ito my webserver and run it from localhost or though my IP then it works?
        • 1. Re: Few questions for you pros.
          Level 7
          > How important are standards is it ok to hack a website together, some
          > tables
          > here, some divs there, some AP divs and some fixed divs etc i mean as long
          > as
          > it looks right...?

Depends on your work ethic. If you have pride in your work, and do not want
          the site/pages to break unexpectedly, then no, it's not allright. If you
          want to finish the job quickly and don't care about the quality of the work,
          or what might happen after you deposit the check, then go for it.

> Can you use AP divs as spacers?

Why would you ever want to do this? But the answer is NO - any absolutely
          positioned element is removed from the normal flow and cannot interact
          physically with other page elements within the normal flow.

> Does Ajax only works on web servers

Ajax is client-side javascript.

Sounds like you are pretty confused.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"rams30" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjvj3r$1a9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > How important are standards is it ok to hack a website together, some
          > tables
          > here, some divs there, some AP divs and some fixed divs etc i mean as long
          > as
          > it looks right...?
          >
          > Can you use AP divs as spacers?
          >
          > Does Ajax only works on web servers, if i run an Ajax page/script on the
          > desktop then it doesn't do what it should if i put it ito my webserver and
          > run
          > it from localhost or though my IP then it works?
          >

• 2. Re: Few questions for you pros.
            Ponzk3
            its simple... use some ap divs so that you could run your device.. like what rams30 explain to you...
            • 3. Few questions for you pros.
              rams30 Level 1
              I know pretty much what Ajax is, you go, html > ajax script > XMLHttpRequest > server > retrieve info from server > display results on page without affecting ay other data on page..

Ok i understand now, by running the script on the desktop the Ajax script has no ability to actually conect via XMLHttpRequest as you are not connected online, or not using ay protocol to do this. Why don't we have a desktop protocol? )

Ok i've got that now.