13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 2:37 AM by bob frost

Severe lag/chop after new graphics card

A-Rok

Hi all, I've been experiencing some serious issues with LR (specifically while using sliders and the crop tool) after installing a new graphics card. The worst problems are:

-major cursor lag when re-cropping an image; when dragging one edge of the crop window, my mouse will seem to unclick itself, then reclick inside the crop window, and then I will inadvertently drag the crop window around.

-Major lag when making changes using the crop tool

-similar lag issues when using sliders

-total freezes for up to 20 seconds

Work will be like pulling teeth for 15 minutes, then the issues seem to clear themselves up for a few minutes, then it's back to pulling teeth. Re-cropping is the lynch pin of my photo editing workflow, and at this rate LR is unusable.

System info:

-Windows 10 Pro

-Intel Core i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz

-8 gigs RAM

-GeForce GTX 1060 GPU, 3 gigs memory, driver version 375.70

-Running a purchased copy of Lightroom 6, upgraded to 6.7.

According to this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

And subsequently this page: Image previews and thumbnails look tiled or broken on Windows

my graphics card currently does not support Lightroom 6.7. After spending an hour with Nvidia tech support, it would seem that the driver for my GTX 1060 can not be rolled back from driver version 375.70 to 368.81, as the second link suggests to do.

I can't be the only guy banging their head against the wall on this one, has anyone had this issue and solved it? My PC far exceeds all the minimum operating requirements for LR6, and in theory, it should be a screaming photo editing machine.

Thanks for advice in advance.

• 1. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you search the forum you'll find many posts regarding issues with Nvidia cards and later driver versions - you're not alone

However, up to now it seems that there is no solution available. I'm sure that Adobe, and specially Nvidia is working on a solution.

• 2. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
            dj_paige Level 9

According to this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

And subsequently this page: Image previews and thumbnails look tiled or broken on Windows

my graphics card currently does not support Lightroom 6.7. After spending an hour with Nvidia tech support, it would seem that the driver for my GTX 1060 can not be rolled back from driver version 375.70 to 368.81, as the second link suggests to do.

But you don't have the same problem. Your description of the problem is not "Image previews and thumbnails look tiled or broken on Windows".

Your card does work with Lightroom 6.7, it meets all the specifications.

Questions:

• are you performing a lot of brushing or spot healing (in Lightroom) on these photos?
            • How big, in pixels, is your monitor?
            • Have you turned on the GPU acceleration in Lightroom, or not?
            • 3. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
              dt98606

I have the same issues. My Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (DUAL-GTX1060-O3G) does not seem to be supported by the 368.81 driver. I even tried grabbing the driver from the Asus web site directly but only the 372.70 and 372.54 drivers are available for download. (But, frustratingly, the 368.81 driver *is* available for download for the GTX 1060 6GB model!)

The newer drivers just don't work. I even had a reboot in the middle of working on an image.

It looks like we're out of luck until Nvidia release a driver that works with LR.

There are some instructions floating around for how to force the Nvidia driver to install on a card it doesn't recognize (by modifying the .inf files) but I'm hesitant to try it in case it (somehow) makes matters worse.

Has anybody managed to force the install of the 368.81 driver with a  GTX1060 3GB card??

Thanks

• 4. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                A-Rok Level 1

Thanks for your reply! To answer your questions:

-Little to no brushing or spot healing, maybe spot healing every 200 photos or so

-My monitor is 3840x2160

-Tried both GPU acceleration on and off, working much better when switched on

• 5. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                  A-Rok Level 1

I saw the same instructions regarding the alteration of the .inf files, and I'm hesitant to try it for the same reason. The last thing I want to do is brick my new GPU.

• 6. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                    dj_paige Level 9

The problem I don't think has been completely solved with 4K monitors. The whole point of enabling the GPU acceleration in Lightroom was to get Lightroom to work well on 4K monitors. Some people report that Lightroom works very smoothly with 4K monitors, while others like you report that it doesn't work well. That's as much as I know.

As an experiment, can you try setting your monitor resolution to 1920x1080 and restart Lightroom and see if the problem is gone?

• 7. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                      A-Rok Level 1

I had tried it in the past, and it didn't seem to help. I'll give it a shot  and take note of any changes, will report my findings in about an hour.

Also, I suppose I should mention I'm using a wireless mouse, a Logitech M510. I don't think I'm getting any wireless interference with the mouse as the problem only seems to happen while using Lightroom, specifically the crop module. That being said, I'm going to be picking up a wired mouse this afternoon just to try it.

• 8. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                        A-Rok Level 1

I may have figured it out, but I'm going to give it another hour of editing to make sure. Windows Defender has been constantly scanning my external hard drive I've been working off of causing a constant 100% disc usage problem. I'll check back in after I have determined if this was the problem.

• 9. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                          dt98606 Level 1

Hey A-Rok - did you figure this out?

BTW I am running a 4K monitor.

• 10. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                            A-Rok Level 1

So far it has been turning out to be a multi-faceted issue. LR is running much smoother now, the principal problems were:

-Windows Defender scanning files on my external hard drive I was working off of

-Old CPU drivers

Only about an hour ago it struck me to double check my CPU driver, and it was a really really old one. I just updated it, and things seem to be running much smoother.

At this point, I think I have done everything I can do to make LR run optimally. My future upgrades will be an i7 processor, newer/faster/more RAM, and I'll be doing all my work off an internal solid state drive from now on. From what I've learned, those are my only bottle necks at this point.

• 11. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                              dj_paige Level 9

SSD will not speed up the Develop Module. Don't buy an SSD for that reason.

Memory will only have a secondary effect on Lightroom. The biggest effects come from the CPU and GPU (if enabled and you have a 4K or larger monitor).

• 12. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As a best practice: Always exclude the folders where the catalog, the previews and the images are located from whatever Virus scanning program you use.

• 13. Re: Severe lag/chop after new graphics card
                                  bob frost Level 3

I tell Windows Defender NOT to scan any files in my Lightroom catalog/previews folder, or my Images folder, or my ACR cache folder.

Bob Frost