8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 5:56 AM by jap345

Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

jap345

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a table / guide reference for correctly sizing files for export with the intention of sending to a printing provider.

I don't see anywhere where the file dimensions e.g. 12000 x 560 equate to file size 120MB then which print size is suitable.

Appreciate if anyone can help me out.

All the best

Jimmy

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no equation to calculate the file size from the image resolution. In fact, the file size is a useless indicator.

I recommend to send the full resolution available for printing a high quality print.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
            dj_paige Level 9

Repeating what McLion said, this is a pointless and impossible task to try to get a JPG to be any specific size. There are too many variables which you cannot control.

The file size is irrelevant, and doesn't tell you if the file is suitable for printing.

The file is suitable for printing if it has enough pixels, not if it the file is a certain megabytes. If you tell us the size (in inches or centimeters) that you want the print to be, we can tell you how many pixels the exported photo should be.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
              jap345 Level 1

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }  Maybe it is simplier than I am making it, but I just cannot get my head around the print size aspect.

I am attempting some mega panos using max raw files, the final raw image is 13289 x 5651 I have exported as 16 bit at 300 dpi TIFF which resulted In a 450 MB biggy, so what size print could I get from this in inches? 

That's for max size. I have a had heard of labs charging money to reduce file sizes to cater for specific sized prints, this is another reasoning for my question. Understand Lightroom can size prints but I do not know what pano sizes to do?

Understand standard sizes 3x2 full frame ratio given 6"x4"  7"x5" ect. 

Any further help appreciated.

Jimmy

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                dj_paige Level 9

The math is extremely simple, it is simple division .... 13289 x 5651 at 300 ppi (not dpi) means you can print at 44.3 x 18.8 inches. The same photo printed at 200 ppi (not dpi) would be 66.4 x 28.3 inches.

As stated above, the file size, 450 MB is irrelevant and totally useless in making decisions about printing size. We really need to stop discussing megabytes and stop discussing file size.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                  jap345 Level 1

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }  Thankyou dj_page I am getting there but don't get the simple maths sorry

Could you please explain where 13289 = 44.3 inches.What unit measure is 13289?

Jimmy

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                    dj_paige Level 9

You told me the size of the image was 13289 pixels in one direction, divide by 300 ppi

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                      F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading that might be worth reading for you: DPI and PPI Explained — Andrew Dacey Photography

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                        jap345 Level 1

Thanks folks for your help A very helpful article 

My question has now been answered in full great

All the best Jimmy

To: James Peacock <jimmy_peacock@yahoo.co.uk>

Sent: Tuesday, 1 November 2016, 12:20

Subject:  Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

created by F. McLion in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionSome reading that might be worth reading for you: DPI and PPI Explained — Andrew Dacey Photography  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9104475#9104475 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9104475#9104475 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences