18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2017 4:08 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

jap345

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a table / guide reference for correctly sizing files for export with the intention of sending to a printing provider.

I don't see anywhere where the file dimensions e.g. 12000 x 560 equate to file size 120MB then which print size is suitable.

Appreciate if anyone can help me out.

All the best

Jimmy

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no equation to calculate the file size from the image resolution. In fact, the file size is a useless indicator.

I recommend to send the full resolution available for printing a high quality print.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
            dj_paige Level 9

Repeating what McLion said, this is a pointless and impossible task to try to get a JPG to be any specific size. There are too many variables which you cannot control.

The file size is irrelevant, and doesn't tell you if the file is suitable for printing.

The file is suitable for printing if it has enough pixels, not if it the file is a certain megabytes. If you tell us the size (in inches or centimeters) that you want the print to be, we can tell you how many pixels the exported photo should be.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
              jap345 Level 1

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }  Maybe it is simplier than I am making it, but I just cannot get my head around the print size aspect.

I am attempting some mega panos using max raw files, the final raw image is 13289 x 5651 I have exported as 16 bit at 300 dpi TIFF which resulted In a 450 MB biggy, so what size print could I get from this in inches? 

That's for max size. I have a had heard of labs charging money to reduce file sizes to cater for specific sized prints, this is another reasoning for my question. Understand Lightroom can size prints but I do not know what pano sizes to do?

Understand standard sizes 3x2 full frame ratio given 6"x4"  7"x5" ect. 

Any further help appreciated.

Jimmy

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                dj_paige Level 9

The math is extremely simple, it is simple division .... 13289 x 5651 at 300 ppi (not dpi) means you can print at 44.3 x 18.8 inches. The same photo printed at 200 ppi (not dpi) would be 66.4 x 28.3 inches.

As stated above, the file size, 450 MB is irrelevant and totally useless in making decisions about printing size. We really need to stop discussing megabytes and stop discussing file size.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                  jap345 Level 1

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }  Thankyou dj_page I am getting there but don't get the simple maths sorry

Could you please explain where 13289 = 44.3 inches.What unit measure is 13289?

Jimmy

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                    dj_paige Level 9

You told me the size of the image was 13289 pixels in one direction, divide by 300 ppi

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

Some reading that might be worth reading for you: DPI and PPI Explained — Andrew Dacey Photography

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                        jap345 Level 1

Thanks folks for your help A very helpful article 

My question has now been answered in full great

All the best Jimmy

To: James Peacock <jimmy_peacock@yahoo.co.uk>

Sent: Tuesday, 1 November 2016, 12:20

Subject:  Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

created by F. McLion in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionSome reading that might be worth reading for you: DPI and PPI Explained — Andrew Dacey Photography  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9104475#9104475 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9104475#9104475 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                          jlorne78

Below is a screen grab, I am printing a photo from MPix.  I have uploaded the original and one with almost no editing from LR.   The 6016x4016 is unchanged, but the MB is less than a third...but what you are saying is that the resolution is unchanged for printing despite going from 7 to 2 MB?

IMG_0126.PNG

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

The "original" jpg was compressed by the camera.

The Lightroom Exported jpg may have had extra compression added in the export process.

What settings did you use in the Export dialog?

What 'Quality' did you have set?

Was there a tick in the [Limit File Size To:] box?

A good link to help explain JPG compression is-

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                              dj_paige Level 9

jlorne78  wrote

Below is a screen grab, I am printing a photo from MPix.  I have uploaded the original and one with almost no editing from LR.   The 6016x4016 is unchanged, but the MB is less than a third...but what you are saying is that the resolution is unchanged for printing despite going from 7 to 2 MB?

IMG_0126.PNG

it is a mistake, and completely the wrong thing to do, to use the megabytes of the file size to judge the quality of the exported image.

To judge the quality of the exported image, you LOOK AT IT. The quality of the exported image is controlled by the image size you select in Lightroom's export dialog box, which determines the number of pixels in the exported image; and by the quality slider in the Lightroom export dialog box, which determines the amount of JPG compression applied. You cannot tell any of this by looking at the megabytes of the exported image.

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                                jlorne78 Level 1

I get that.   What I'm saying is on my iPad I cannot tell the difference other than the MB size, but I would rather not spend $180 on wall art to "look at it" and see the resolution was decreased as well as the size.  Is there not a way to check the resolution in a less subjective way than looking at it I n a computer screen?

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                                  jlorne78 Level 1

IMG_0128.PNG

I am using LR v2.8.2 on an iPad Pro.  I do not see any of those options, only to export at small or "maximum available".

IMG_0127.PNG

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                                    dj_paige Level 9

jlorne78  wrote

I get that.   What I'm saying is on my iPad I cannot tell the difference other than the MB size,

Then you don't get it. Looking at the MB does not indicate quality. Looking at MB does not indicate resolution. Looking at MB tells you nothing about anything we have been discussing.

So you can't tell the difference, that's good. There is no visual difference. That's good.

If you export properly, and the original has the quality you want, then the export will have the quality you want. Resolution is simply pixels, you have to look at the pixels (width and height), not the megabytes.

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                                      jlorne78 Level 1

So other than looking at it, there is no way to measure the resolution or PPI.  If that is what you are saying then I think you have answered my question.  I'm just surprised that eyeballing it is the only way to know the PPI of a photo.

Thanks.

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                                        jlorne78 Level 1

I think you have always misunderstood that comment about the MB.  I never said that MB indicated quality.  I said that I noticed the file size was smaller but 6016x4016 was unchanged and if there were any other changes, such as resolution (does the 6016x4016 indicate PPI?) and if so, how I could check.

This discussion is on-going because other than you telling me that MB doesn't indicate resolution and that I don't get it (trust me, I got that point), you are not telling me how to check the resolution/PPI/or max size I can print without pixilation other than to eyeball it.  If that is the only way, and there is not other way to check the resolution, I guess I am surprised, but I got it.  I did notice that the 6016x4016 remained the same and that perhaps that was an indication of how large I could print wall art, perhaps up to a 24x36" canvas.

• 17. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports

You got the resolution of 6016x4016 ... that's all there is. The rest is just plain calculation. Depending on the distance you are looking at an image - which usually is bigger for larger prints - you just need to do the math if you get the needed value or not.

For small fine art you would want to have 300 whereas for a large canvas print that you are looking at from more than a meter, about 150 is more than enough.

• 18. Re: Lightroom CC - Sizing photos for Exports
                                            dj_paige Level 9

jlorne78  wrote

So other than looking at it, there is no way to measure the resolution or PPI.  If that is what you are saying then I think you have answered my question.  I'm just surprised that eyeballing it is the only way to know the PPI of a photo.

I specifically said resolution is determined by pixels. The PPI is also easily calculated, if you decide on a print size.