6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 9:01 AM by royw1141952

Pan and zoom in video

royw1141952

I can't seem to resize a zoom window to the size of the entire video. The +/- buttons don't get me there, and the mouse drag seems to work depending on where in the workspace the frame is? i.e. I can't drag the lower right corner any more (although not at the edge of the frame) but if I move it right or left I can. Moving it right can sometimes make it shrink too...I don't understand this interface.

Basically, I'd like to be at full size (no zoom) for most of the video, but zoom and pan some parts. With the tool, I seem to be stuck at whatever the maximum size I manage to make a zoom window, which is not full size.

How do I do this?

I'm using Premiere Elements 15.

• 1. Re: Pan and zoom in video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's not clear what you're describing at all, roy. I don't know of any place where you'd use +/- buttons to create a pan and zoom. And resizing the video in your video frame won't keyframe pan and zoom animations.

Are you using the Pan & Zoom tool, located on the Toolbar on the right side of the program? Or are you editing keyframes for the Motion properties on the Applied Effects panel? Those are the only two ways to create a pan and zoom in Premiere Elements?

• 2. Re: Pan and zoom in video
            royw1141952 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking a moment and trying to make sense of my post.

I mean the Pan & Zoom tool, where adding a key frame brings up a little rectangle you can resize and move. In the lower right-hand corner there are little +/- buttons, but they don't take you to full size, nor can I seem to easily use the mouse to resize it so.

That was the problem I was describing...the resizing with the mouse seems fickle to me, or I don't understand how it works.

Is there a way to ask it to go back to the original framing from the Pan & Zoom tool?

• 3. Re: Pan and zoom in video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Reset button?

• 4. Re: Pan and zoom in video
                royw1141952 Level 1

Doesn't that reset everything, including deleting the key frames I've made?

I'd like to, after doing some pan and zoom, go back to the original framing.

• 5. Re: Pan and zoom in video
                  mskincaid91

Hi, I'm fairly new to this software and learning as I go, but I think I know what you are talking about because I too was trying pan zoom in my video.

I usually start in expert mode to begin with, and you can also undo everything if you look at the bottom left part of the screen.

For the pan and zoom, I first split the video into clips that I want to pan and zoom. Then select the clip and open the tool. For the tool I noticed two boxes come up. I delete the smaller one ( there's a small x in its top right corner). I then adjust the size of the larger box to whichever area of the video i'd like to zoom. I don't use the plus or minus, because I haven't figured them out quite yet. But adjusting the size with my mouse works fine. I just click on the edge and crop it like a picture until it becomes zoomed to my liking. To see how much it is zoomed I just preview it which allows you to see it before actually applying it to your video.

Hope that helps.

• 6. Re: Pan and zoom in video
                    royw1141952 Level 1

Thanks for the post!

I was going to resign myself to that as a work around, but wanted to know if there's a way to use the tool differently.

Thanks again!