1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 1:19 PM by johnmccallum

Context Sensitive Help and bookmarks / anchors in Robohelp 7

Mike KJ
      How can I use the F1 Help and bookmarks / anchors in Robohelp 7?

1: Topic with referrer in the HEAD section.

<head>
      <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=examle.htm#anchor">
      </head>

Works flawlessly in the preview but not in the compiled CHM File.

2: Javascript:

see attached code

Works nicely. But what about platfoms with javascript disabled? However, it's not elegant to use a couple of referrer topics.

3: Change the ALI File

The ALI Files is where Robohelp saves IDs-Topics references.

Just change the URL from NAME OF ID=\example.htm to NAME OF ID=\example.htm#anchor and add <a name="anchor"></a> to your code in the topic file.

Nice, clean and easy - if you know where to find the information you need.

Mike
        • 1. Re: Context Sensitive Help and bookmarks / anchors in Robohelp 7
          Level 2
          Mike,

I think you are making this more complicated than need be. F1 help should be connected by the software developer such that F1 produces a map number. You can read this number by firing F1 when RoboHelp's BugHunter is enabled. BugHunter will report that map number.

To connect to help, you have two files - the .hh (help header, but can also be just .h) and the .ali file. The format should be

in hh file: #define MAPID 123456
          where MAPID is anything, usually a descriptive map name, and 123456 is the map number you get from F1.
          in .ali file: MAPID="topicname.htm#bookmark"

I usually create the .hh and .ali files outside of RoboHelp but you can do this in RoboHelp.
          If BugHunter does not give you a map number, you need to talk to the developers.

John