• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover un-compressed files?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally exported my photos with compression. Is there a way to recover my edit, non-compressed photos or do I have to go back and re-edit them all?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without more details of what you did-

Simply  export the original 'edited' images from Lr a second time changing the jpg quality higher, which gives less compression.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for lack of detail! I edited all of my photos, and when I went to export them, I resized the images to 1000x1000 (which I realize now may not be the same thing as compression, I apologize). After exporting the resized images, I removed the photos from Lightroom. I can't figure out how to recover the non-resized, but edited versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, more details tells a saddening tale!

Having removed the photos from Lightroom you can only do a couple of things-

1. If the original image files are available, re-import, re-edit, and re-export. (that could be a lot of work)

2. If the original image files are still available in their same location, and you have recent backups of the catalog, you may be able to restore a backup catalog that still contains all the edits. (that is - if you did a catalog backup after the editing and before the deletions!)

If the original files are not available, then all you have is the 1000x1000 images. and lesson learned.?

Look in the Recycle Bin for the originals?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can,'t find the original files, with a little bit luck, a recovery program like disc rescue can get them back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They aren't showing up in the recycle bin, so it looks like I'll just have to re-edit. Lesson learned! Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hs95627874 wrote:

They aren't showing up in the recycle bin, so it looks like I'll just have to re-edit. Lesson learned! Thanks for your help.

If they aren't in the Recycle Bin then you didn't delete them and all you did was remove them from the LR catalog.

You need to view some tutorials on using LR and how LR works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just switched over to LR from PS so I'm still getting the hang of the whole catalog thing! But yes, lesson learned and it looks like I will be doing option 1. Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you just Remove from the Catalog or Delete from Disk?

Even if you Deleted from Disk these images are in your Trash or Recycle bin.

If you just Removed from Catalog then you can Re-import them or open a backup catalog from before you removed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

when you know a filename, do a search on your hard drive, so you can find them if they are somewhere on your drive

(standaard the files are located in the picture folder in the map with date)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines