6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 9:23 AM by D.A.R

LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?

jonb26725120

Hi

I have recently started using LR mobile in order to shoot RAW on my iphone 7.  I recently took 350-400 photos as DNG files in LR mobile expecting to be able to copy them off my phone to my PC via USB, or at least via iTunes.  This was a poor assumption.

I have now resorted to syncing all 350+ DNG files via LR CC online, which is taking forever, and is horrible (and is a terrible way to design the process), but that is the secondary issue. 

The main issue is that when I tell LR Desktop to sync to LR mobile/online it says I can "only sync a single LR catalogue.  Would you like to sync this catalogue instead?  If so you will have to delete your previously synced photos in your browser" etc etc.   I suspect this is because the last time I used LR mobile (a long time ago) was on another PC with another catalogue.

So...

If I agree to delete the existing *online* catalogue and base it all off my current Desktop catalogue, I'm worried I will be deleting/lose all the 350+ photos I have uploaded, and not just off the web - potentially off my phone too.  If so this would be disasterous as the only copy I have of these photos is either in my online CC catalogue and locked within my LR mobile app, with no other way to get them out it seems because Adobe wants to force all copying to be done via the cloud ??

All I want to do is just get my DNG photos off my phone and onto my PC safely....  Help! 

• 1. Re: LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?
          jonb26725120 Level 1

PS So as a backup I at least want to a standard download backup of my photos from the web collection (outside of LR Desktop) ...which appears to require me to download each photo individually (350+ !!) in order to do this.  surely not?!  Please tell me you can download a whole collection with one click but I just find the link.

• 2. Re: LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?
            D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

jonb26725120 wrote:

If I agree to delete the existing *online* catalogue and base it all off my current Desktop catalogue, I'm worried I will be deleting/lose all the 350+ photos I have uploaded, and not just off the web - potentially off my phone too. If so this would be disasterous as the only copy I have of these photos is either in my online CC catalogue and locked within my LR mobile app, with no other way to get them out it seems because Adobe wants to force all copying to be done via the cloud ??

All I want to do is just get my DNG photos off my phone and onto my PC safely.... Help!

The images that are currently online will sync to the current catalog. Those that will be deleted are simply those that were linked to the previous catalog. No image will be deleted from your phone. (referring to the current batch you are concerned with) The previous files that were synced to the old catalog I am presuming were not still on the phone or re of little interest. If they do have value then you'd be better served saving them to the Camera Roll.

jonb26725120 wrote:

Please tell me you can download a whole collection with one click but I just find the link.

There is no means of downloading all the images. It is primarily a share by viewing platform rather than a share by transfer.

• 3. Re: LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?

Incidentally, when the images from your phone sync to a catalog they are synced in full resolution to a folder which is by default in the Lightroom Folder inside the Mobile Downloads.lrdata file.

They can be retrieved manually from here if ever one needs to but a better option may be to establish a specific folder that conforms to your regular folder structure and assign that as the location for the Mobile images.

Screenshot 2016-11-02 12.38.26.png

For those who haven't lost their previously synced catalog, the images are only deleted from the browser and the mobile devices, not from the computers that are synced.

• 4. Re: LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?
                jonb26725120 Level 1

Appreciate your input D.A.R but the warning messages I am being shown are confirming my entire new online/mobile collection is at risk if I proceed:

First message from LR Desktop when I click Start on "Sync with LR Mobile" in top left:

Then I click 'Delete previously synced photos, it opens lightroom.adobe.com/libraries/'................../welcome?show=account with the following warning:

Note that it is confirming all 443 photos (of which around 370 are the one's I am trying to get off my phone) are to be deleted if I proceed, and that "they may also be lost from my mobile device.

This is despite it refusing to sync those 443 photos from the cloud to my LR Desktop.  I feel like I'm stuck in an impass within LR here and more worried than ever I have no way of getting those ~370 DNG photos out of LR mobile.

• 5. Re: LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's telling you that you are in a different catalogue from the one that is set up to sync with LrMobile. So, in LrDesktop open that other catalogue and the photos will sync into it.

Where might that catalogue be? Only you would know for certain, but my guess is that you have used File>New Catalog. To find the synced catalogue, try looking under File>Open Recent - it should be listed there.

• 6. Re: LR mobile: can only copy photos off phone via CC but LR Desktop says it's a different catalogue?

So we're stuck with the "I suspect this is because the last time I used LR mobile (a long time ago) was on another PC with another catalogue."

As John states Lightroom is looking to sync those new images with the old catalog. If you have any backups of that catalog, now would be the time to recover it, open it, let it sync and get your images before working with your newer catalog.

If the catalog is no longer available to you then I believe you are stuck with the downloading of the files individually from the browser or saving them to the camera roll.

What I don't know is if the DNG file will be saved to the camera roll or a finished version of the file with Lr edits. This is not a great situation to be in and is a limitation of the one catalog per sync system. I wish that were not the case.