2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2009 1:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Repost: CMS with 'roles' or individual permissions

Level 7
      Hi,

I've read a few of the threads here about CMS but none of them seem to meet
      my question head on.

I have a site which I have set up for Contribute for my client. They now
      want to be able to add a page for each of their branches to update and
      maintain, but do not want to allow them to edit other pages. They have
      around 16 branches, so they would be looking at 8 to 16 copies of Contribute
      @ around $250 AUD.

What would people's recommendations be? Should they just get the licences
      for Contribute as well as a small bill from me for setup? What about
      Contribute Publishing Server (if it still exists)? How does that compare
      pricewise? What about a CMS with 'roles' or permissions so that I can limit
      each branch to edit only pages in their folder? Another factor would be
      future branch increases - if they get another five branches soon they would
      have to pay for more Contribute licences, but a CMS would already be paid
      for and pretty much set up.

Thanks for your wisdom in an area I know little about,

Bruce

• 1. Re: Repost: CMS with 'roles' or individual permissions
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          If I am understanding your issue correctly the client will create only 1 page per branch. These are not divisions which will have entirely different websites (ie: take Ford Motor Company for example with Ford, Lincoln, Mercury websites).

If this is only one page, do they have an IT department to look over it? If so they could designate a few individuals to update all of the pages to cut back on costs. Or, as an alternative you could stay on and help update those pages. As far as licensing goes though, Adobe has a pricing calculator ( http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/openoptions/calculator/ ). I'm not too sure about pricing outside the US, but you would be in TLP level S. If you contact Adobe sales or a volume retailer (sorry but nothing comes to mind for Australia) you should get more of a discount on the software when you buy in quantity.

With regards to permissions, I do know that Contribute does allow you to set up permissions. These are typically based on login so I would assume that you would only have 1 login per branch. But how Contribute Publishing Server works I do not have the experience there to help you. For that I would highly recommend contacting Adobe sales. If you want to find out if something is for you, calling a sales department.
          • 2. Re: Repost: CMS with 'roles' or individual permissions
            Level 7
            Thanks SnakEyez,

You're pretty much right with your conclusion of the permissions needed
            although I'll probably have to give access to an individual folder for each
            branch, rather than a page, but Contribute handles that just as well.

I'll contact Adobe Australia Sales Dept but first I have to find out whether
            my client qualifies for either Education or Government since they are a
            Government affiliated Not-for-Profit who also does training...

Thanks again,

Bruce

> If I am understanding your issue correctly the client will create only 1
            > page
            > per branch. These are not divisions which will have entirely different
            > websites (ie: take Ford Motor Company for example with Ford, Lincoln,
            > Mercury
            > websites).
            >
            > If this is only one page, do they have an IT department to look over it?
            > If
            > so they could designate a few individuals to update all of the pages to
            > cut
            > back on costs. Or, as an alternative you could stay on and help update
            > those
            > pages. As far as licensing goes though, Adobe has a pricing calculator (
            > http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/openoptions/calculator/ ). I'm not too
            > sure
            > about pricing outside the US, but you would be in TLP level S. If you
            > contact
            > Adobe sales or a volume retailer (sorry but nothing comes to mind for
            > Australia) you should get more of a discount on the software when you buy
            > in
            > quantity.
            >
            > With regards to permissions, I do know that Contribute does allow you to
            > set
            > up permissions. These are typically based on login so I would assume that
            > you
            > would only have 1 login per branch. But how Contribute Publishing Server
            > works
            > I do not have the experience there to help you. For that I would highly
            > recommend contacting Adobe sales. If you want to find out if something is
            > for
            > you, calling a sales department.
            >