• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts - missing items! Where are they???

Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video-editing philosophy is hands on the keyboard as much as possible.

I have a detailed custom shortcut file and two items that I am accustomed to using have been stripped out: Timelines (assigned in CC 2015.4 and earlier to the "3" key with no modifier) and Program Monitor (assigned in CC 2015.4 and earlier to "4" key with no modifier).

The "Timelines" and "Program Monitor" entries do not exist in the list of available items to which shortcuts can be made, in the new version.

A third, "Effect Controls", I had to remap but was able to successfully place it at "5" with no modifier. ("1" and "2" are for my multi-camera switching which invariably is two-camera).

After a session with a tech rep on the phone, it appears that one can no longer map a key to Timelines - it's hardwired to "Shift-3"; Program Monitor is similarly hardwired to "Shift-4". They do not show up on the new (and otherwise welcome) Keyboard Shortcut layout. I note that

These commands do not work on the ported shortcut file that I've been using for several years. I created a new custom file, made a couple of changes and was able to use these files, although I would prefer to use them WITHOUT the modifying "shift" key. In any event, unless I want to re-create my entire shortcut file in the new version, these keys appear to be unavailable.

Was this unintentional, or did Adobe do this deliberately to annoy us? I can't imagine this simple functionality had to be removed for any other reason...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Jim, I can make it weirder!

The tech support guy I worked with was on the ball, and spent some time after my call. He called me back...with the solution!

Apparently with the new keyboard mapping system (which I do like, a lot, so far), there are certain keys that cannot be edited in an active project, for the user's safety. The trick: Create a NEW, EMPTY project. THEN try editing the Timeline and Program Monitor, they'll work fine. Otherwise they're locked. In the keyboard editor, 3 and 4 show up

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is pretty weird.  The default shortcuts still work, but we seem to have no access to change those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I can make it weirder!

The tech support guy I worked with was on the ball, and spent some time after my call. He called me back...with the solution!

Apparently with the new keyboard mapping system (which I do like, a lot, so far), there are certain keys that cannot be edited in an active project, for the user's safety. The trick: Create a NEW, EMPTY project. THEN try editing the Timeline and Program Monitor, they'll work fine. Otherwise they're locked. In the keyboard editor, 3 and 4 show up as available keys. Go figure...

I suppose I don't mind beginners' safety being protected, but it would be nice if we had documentation on it first!

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update. I've been pulling my hair out about this. It was like losing a part of my brain when all of a sudden my 10+ years of muscle memory wasn't working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines