7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 2:23 AM by Romeo.Marian

What about Director 12?

DAVID NAJAR Level 1
      Hi everybody

This maybe is a silly question: What about Director 12? Any news?
        • 1. Re: What about Director 12?
          Stelios Stylianou
          Adobe might consider the question silly since they have consistently avoided any meaningful information about the future development of this application. For the rest of us who still want to figure out whether Director still has a place in our development toolbox it is a more serious question.
          With all due respect to everyone involved with Director at Adobe: You are falling way short in promoting Director to new developers or convincing your existing developer base that Director is still a legitimate player in the online/offline multimedia development arena. You might want to consider the idea of at least utilizing web sites that are officially supported by Adobe like - http://blogs.adobe.com/shockwaves/ , http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/ fresh with new content and information.
          • 2. Re: What about Director 12?
            mziskandar Level 1
            From my pov. Director has no direction to direct yet. No x-factor in 11 thats really "WOW!". Looking at the tutorial provided with 11.. looks like we are still using Windows 98 - "I hate that Magic Hat".

What I really miss.. proper/good tutorials.. for the latest/updated functions
            • 3. Re: What about Director 12?
              Level 7
              As usual with Director, nothing has been announced about Director 12
              apart from when they said that they are actively developing it. They
              have also said publicly that they have a roadmap that includes Director
              13. Sadly they have not shared this roadmap, but it is good to know
              that they are working on future versions, not letting it rot like
              Macromedia did.

As far as new resources for Director 11, there is a new site at

www.adobedirectoronline.com

which is not an "offical" adobe site, but it is run by the Project
              Manager (I think that is his title) for Director 11, and it has a lot of
              good info including utilities, tutorials, etc.
              • 4. Re: What about Director 12?
                Stelios Stylianou Level 1
                While I agree that it is a great improvement that Adobe is at least actively working on Director the lack of any information about their roadmap for the product is bewildering and counterproductive. We all understand that they do not want to promise specific features and functionality but a general idea on improvements and direction will help us in decisions of technology expertise. Also we (developers) are responsible to our clients to provide good advice and proper choices on the development platforms we propose for today and tomorrow. It is also hard to believe that Adobe will continue development of Director unless it attracts new developers. Director has been in the shadows for very long and I have not seen any effort to shine some light into it.

As for "www.adobedirectoronline.com" - is a good effort that added some material initially when it launched but it also sits idle for long periods of time. There are many resources/web sites devoted to director with useful tutorials, samples etc that are run by members of the great director community. What worries me is (what I perceive as) the lack of effort from Adobe itself in keeping developers informed and involved.
                • 5. Re: What about Director 12?
                  DAVID NAJAR Level 1
                  Thanks for reply all of you!

Seems Director’s product management maintains the legacy of the black box. Sadly the futureless shadow remains.

I bet for a great Director incoming. (or better said “I hope”)
                  • 6. Re: What about Director 12?
                    Level 7
                    Mike Blaustein wrote:

> As far as new resources for Director 11, there is a new site at
                    > www.adobedirectoronline.com
                    > which is not an "offical" adobe site, but it is run by the Project
                    > Manager (I think that is his title) for Director 11, and it has a lot of
                    > good info including utilities, tutorials, etc.

Hi,

Just a small correction. The adobedirectoronline site is a hobby site of a
                    member on the Adobe Director development team. It is not the Product
                    Manager. Is just one of the engineers. It is his experiments, not linked at
                    all to what is happening at Adobe.

regards
                    Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                    http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                    email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 7. Re: What about Director 12?
                      Romeo.Marian
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Dean Utian
                      Just a small correction. The adobedirectoronline site is a hobby site of a
                      member on the Adobe Director development team. It is not the Product
                      Manager. Is just one of the engineers. It is his experiments, not linked at
                      all to what is happening at Adobe.

Almost nothing is linked to what is happening at Adobe.