9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 6:28 AM by Peter Spier

Grep expression to include carriage return if it's there

JustyR Level 1

Hi all,

Is there a grep expression that is able to handle a break return or other non-text character that might or might not be between a pair of tabs?

I'm using Grep within BBEdit to convert Excel data into tagged XML, to then import into InDesign. However, when someone has put a carriage return within a cell in Excel, my find/replace won't handle that properly. I can use a workaround, but I didn't want to amend the original data if possible.

My expression looks for 7 columns of text, and takes each piece and puts tags around them.

filename    |    full name    |    star    |    company    |    biog    |    city    |    twitter

johnsmith.tif    |    John Smith    |    yes    |    DeLoitte    |    I work at Deloitte and I'm brilliant.    |    New York    |    @myhandle

Find:

^(.*?)\t(.*?)\t(.*?)\t(.*?)\t(.*?)\t(.*?)\t(.*?)$

Replace:

<person>

<picbox href="file://Headshots/\1" />

<name>\2</name>

<star>\3</star>

<company>\4</company>

<biog>\5</biog>

<city>\6</city>

<twitter>\7</twitter>

</person>

But what if one of those columns has a break return but all the others don't? - Just to be clear, it MIGHT have a carriage return, it MIGHT NOT - this is the tricky bit.

Is there a grep expression that can account for that?

johnsmith.tif    |    John Smith    |    yes    |    DeLoitte    |    I work at Deloitte

and I'm brilliant.    |    New York    |    @myhandle

If anyone can help, that would be amazing.

Thanks,

Justy