1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 10:09 PM by Newsgroup_User

Shockwave multiuser game

aani123
      I am looking at developing an online multiuser 3d games using shockwave technology. Planning to user Director with Shockwave Multi user server. But little worried on Adobe withdrawn support on SMUS. Should I use Adobe Flash Media Interactive Server 3.5 instead? Or is it fine to go with Director 11 and SMUS 3.0? Any help?
        • 1. Re: Shockwave multiuser game
          Level 7
          Hi aani,

SMU communication consists of two parts. The server (that should be
          running on your server machine), and the xtra (that will be used in your
          movie). The SMU Server is not supported, and quite outdated - however,
          it still works, and there also exist third party compatible alternatives.
          The xtra, on the other hand, is being updated -or has been so far- in
          order to be compatible with newer platforms/os versions, as they appear.
          In conclusion, not only you can still use the multiuserXtra to develop
          multiuser apps, but especially for action games, it's probably the best
          choice, due to it's supporting the udp protocol.

aani123 wrote:
          > I am looking at developing an online multiuser 3d games using shockwave
          > technology. Planning to user Director with Shockwave Multi user server. But
          > little worried on Adobe withdrawn support on SMUS. Should I use Adobe Flash
          > Media Interactive Server 3.5 instead? Or is it fine to go with Director 11 and
          > SMUS 3.0? Any help?
          >