1 person found this helpful
type masking in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and learn how to make a mask. Sounds like you are creating a shape layer instead of a mask.
1. Add your video
2. Add a black solid
3. Make sure the black solid is selected
4. Double click the ellipse tool to create an oval mask the size of your solid or use your pen tool to draw a custom shaped mask
5. Press m twice to reveal the mask properties on the solid layer
6. Change the mask mode to subtract
7. Set the mask feather to get a soft edge
8. Adjust the mask offset to control the size of the mask
9. Press the t key to reveal the opacity settings and adjust the opacity to get the look you like
10. Experiment with blend modes if you don't see what you like. Try Multiply or Darken
If you are still confused please start here: Basic AE
It's nearly impossible for anyone to just open up AE and have some success. A non linear editor like Premiere Pro is kind of like driving a car. After Effects is kind of like flying a F-16 off an aircraft carrier. You are not going to have any success unless you get some training.
BTW, YouTube is not a very good place to look for AE training. It's getting polluted with folks that have little or no idea how video or compositing or motion graphics work. You have to vet your trainers. The best source is a professional training company like Lynda.com or Total Training or published books like Classroom in a Book. If you are having problems with a 3rd party plug-in or effect go directly to their website and look at their training. The second best is the Search Help field right inside AE. If you must use YouTube then check out the credentials of the folks doing the tutorials. There is no list - you have to do the research yourself.
There is also the cc vignette effect that was added to recent versions (as of CC 2015 - 13.6).
I have the latest version! But I cant find anything when I type in vignette under effects. Is it under a different name?
I got it to work thank you