• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update catalogue for External drive remounted with different letter.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As subject states:  I have files stored on an external USB drive.  When remounted / reattached to the PC, it on many occasions has a different drive letter assignment.  I can manually locate images within the catalogue - but the folder by folder "find nearby missing photos" makes the process very slow.

Is there away to point the catalogue to the newly lettered drive?

I've used several iterations of Lightroom, but currently use CC.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...further searching I came upon this article:  How to create and manage folders in Photoshop Lightroom

which appears to have answered my question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'd be wise to give the drive a letter near the end of the alphabet, like W: so that it most likely will never change again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, you have all the images arranged in folders within one master folder on that external hard drive. When you reattach and the drive has a different letter, in the library module right-click on the topmost folder and choose the option to "Update folder location". That will enable you to point Lightroom to the folder where it is now located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines