• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 standard previews disappeared

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden Lightroom 6 stopped showing me the standard previews of 'old' photo's, when opening these maps. When importing new photo's Lightroom 6 seems to 'freeze' to, when making standard previews. Background info: MAC OS X, Lightroom 6 & Catalogue on a extern Seagate disk, changed nothing the last time. Already checked the files: there's not catalogue.lock file. Please, if you have a tip, let me know?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Could be a corrupted preview cache.

Close Lightroom. Use the Finder, and go to the folder that contains your Lightroom catalog, and delete thte folder whose name ends with Previews.lrdata. (it's possible that it is displayed as a file rather than a folder on a Mac, but it's the same thing.)

Do not delete anything else.

Now launch Lightroom, and the previews will rebuild as you browse the Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "stopped showing previews"? What do you see where the photos should be? Show us a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2016-11-07 om 20.33.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reaction. See print screen above. I started working with Lightroom about 6 months ago. Importing was done in a short time & always when I opened the folders I saw previews. Not anymore, they're grey now. And when I try to import new photo's making the previews last forever...it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not the solution. I didn't solve the problem. Do you perhaps have another option? Thanks a lot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you did it properly? Can you try a second time? I'm sure it's the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a corrupted preview cache.

Close Lightroom. Use the Finder, and go to the folder that contains your Lightroom catalog, and delete thte folder whose name ends with Previews.lrdata. (it's possible that it is displayed as a file rather than a folder on a Mac, but it's the same thing.)

Do not delete anything else.

Now launch Lightroom, and the previews will rebuild as you browse the Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! This was the solution. There is still another folder 'smart previews.lrdata', is it wise to delete it to? And for the future...do you know what went wrong? Would like to avoid a second time in future;-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that there were two previews folders next to each other in the same parent folder? That's not normal.

But if you mean that the folder reappeared after deleting it and then launching Lightroom, that's the way it works.

When you delete the folder, Lightroom recreates it on the next launch.

I don't know what causes corruption of the preview cache, but I guess it could happen if Lightroom isn't closed down properly, for instance a power failure.

I've read somewhere, possibly on http://www.lightroomqueen.com/ that if this happens frequently, it could be an indicator of a failing hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, misread your post, missed the "smart" part.

No, just leave the smart previews alone, they serve a different purpose - you can do editing on them if the originals are offline.

But if you don't use them, you can safely delete them, they take up quite a lot of space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines